Peavey or Cant Hook?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kas7227

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons between the two for a firewood cutter?

I've never been able to cut wood with either a peavey or a cant hook. I find a chainsaw works much better.

:monkey: :agree2:

uhhh no seriously I have a can't hook, it's ok but I wonder if a peavy wouldn't have just one more use that a can't hook doesn't. the point on the end is good for poking snakes n critters in the wood pile :cheers: really they accomplish the same thing for the firewood guy, it's not like we're floating logs down the river or anything.

I like a peavy for a couple of reasons. They tend to be longer giving you more leverage and don't have to bend over as much and the spike means you can stick it in the ground when not in use so it is less likely to get run over, lost, hit with chainsaw etc.. You can't roll logs with a cant hook, thats why they call it that. (actually its because they are used to rotate cants on a mill)

Check out Logrite's website.

http://www.logrite.com/cantpeavey.html

I have a Stihl branded cant hook from Logrite. I really like it, seems to grip the log pretty good. I've never used a peavy so I can't say which one is better. Check out the link though, it's pretty straight forward.

You can check out peavey manufacturing too- they still make peaveys and cant hooks and is a real nice company to deal with-

Check out Logrite's website.

http://www.logrite.com/cantpeavey.html

I have a Stihl branded cant hook from Logrite. I really like it, seems to grip the log pretty good. I've never used a peavy so I can't say which one is better. Check out the link though, it's pretty straight forward.

wow that almost makes it look like I know what I am talking about!

I have the Logrite peavy w/ log stand.

I think the point on the log stand works more like the cant hook does.

So it's kind of a hybrid between the two :)

I haven't used mine in anything really large yet, but so far I'm really liking it.

I have both, the peavy goes with me to the woods for moving around logs. The cant hook stays at home for when I cut said logs. Both are stihl/logrite ones.

Peavey - better for hunting.

This is a story I heard some time back from an old timer...

Years ago, a couple of French Canadian loggers toting their equipment came out of the woods near the Salmon Falls River, which is the boundary between Maine and NH. They'd been working on the Maine side and were returning to La Petite Canada in Somersworth, NH.

En route, the Frenchman carrying the peavey spied a racoon several yards away. He chucked his peavey hard at the racoon.

The pike stuck in the ground a few inches from the critter, whilst the cant spike swung right into the racoon, killing him.

The Frenchmen had a nice warm dinner that day.

Bottom line is you double your chances at landing your quarry if you go a-hunting with a peavey. :)

Latest posts

Back