Pecan Crotch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flht01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'll be going after a pecan in the next day or so and have a question. This tree was laid over by hurricane Rita but has been living off the root ball so it should still be green. The trunk looks to be about 24" dbh and about 20 feet to the first limbs. That part will be easy to get to. Right above that cut I could get a 6' to 8' piece with one big limb and a crotch but it could be a little risky. Does anyone have experience with pecan crotch, is there enough figure to get excited about? My gut feeling is to leave it since it's tangled up in a couple of oaks.

Last edited:
Crotch wood from ANY tree can be a prize, even from bland wood like Poplar although it's rare to find a big poplar crotch in the first place since they grow so strait. Sometimes you have to stain it to bring out the figure so you can see it better.

woodshop said:
Crotch wood from ANY tree can be a prize, even from bland wood like Poplar although it's rare to find a big poplar crotch in the first place since they grow so strait. Sometimes you have to stain it to bring out the figure so you can see it better.

That does it then, I'll be spending a little extra time getting it out along with the rest.

As good as it feels being caught up (finally got all of the logs cut) I realize now just how much I enjoy having a few logs laying around waiting to be milled.

I'll try to get a few pictures along the way.

on the bunks

Well, I got the pecan sitting on the bunks with all exposed cuts coated with aquaseal (sp?). Wasn't quite as big (21" dbh) but doesn't have much taper and ended up nearly 28' long including the crotch. Pictures are bad, but...

Here's a shot showing the area before I started:

P1001281.jpg

And a shot of it on the bunks ready to mill along with a small pine:

P1001284.jpg

Nice... can't wait to see if that crotch is a keeper or not. Once in a while you really get a nice one. Keep us informed.

woodshop said:
Nice... can't wait to see if that crotch is a keeper or not. Once in a while you really get a nice one. Keep us informed.

I'll post a few pictures within the next week or two, weather permittting. I'll be spending a couple of days trying to get at a pin oak that will be a real handfull. All these pictures of ray fleck and walnut floating around lately gave me the millin' itch. :laugh:

flht01 said:
I'll post a few pictures within the next week or two, weather permittting. I'll be spending a couple of days trying to get at a pin oak that will be a real handfull. All these pictures of ray fleck and walnut floating around lately gave me the millin' itch. :laugh:
Ill second that. I tried to do a little squirrel hunting today but I kept getting distracted by the trees.:)

dustytools said:
Ill second that. I tried to do a little squirrel hunting today but I kept getting distracted by the trees.:)
Ain't it just so true... I can't pass a takedown without slowing down to see what kind of tree they are dropping and whether it's worth milling. When walking through the woods I also size up trees for milling without even thinking of it first. It kinda gets in your blood don't it? Just need more weekends to mill, and more space to sticker and store the wood when I do.

woodshop said:
Ain't it just so true... I can't pass a takedown without slowing down to see what kind of tree they are dropping and whether it's worth milling. When walking through the woods I also size up trees for milling without even thinking of it first. It kinda gets in your blood don't it? Just need more weekends to mill, and more space to sticker and store the wood when I do.

X2! I catch my mind wandering into "milling dream land" too often when in the presence of good trees. "In the blood" is an understatement.

flht01 said:

Hey flht01 where are you located in SEtexas,,, I live in little cypress?????

woodshop said:
Nice... can't wait to see if that crotch is a keeper or not. Once in a while you really get a nice one.

WS, you old horn dog!! hafta agree with you though..........
-Ralph

woodshop said:

I've scoped out every tree between work and home. There is this HUGE Osage Orange....I keep waiting.

Mark

RiverRat2 said:
Hey flht01 where are you located in SEtexas,,, I live in little cypress?????

It's good to see some more members from this area. Maybe a GTG is in the future for us. My place is available and I have/ can get pleanty of logs.

flht01 said:
I'll be going after a pecan in the next day or so and have a question. This tree was laid over by hurricane Rita but has been living off the root ball so it should still be green. The trunk looks to be about 24" dbh and about 20 feet to the first limbs. That part will be easy to get to. Right above that cut I could get a 6' to 8' piece with one big limb and a crotch but it could be a little risky. Does anyone have experience with pecan crotch, is there enough figure to get excited about? My gut feeling is to leave it since it's tangled up in a couple of oaks.

My $.02 on your origional question... good pecan crotch is well worth the effort. Like anything else, it needs to be sealed to prevent checking. I'll try to dig some of mine up and post pics.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
My $.02 on your origional question... good pecan crotch is well worth the effort. Like anything else, it needs to be sealed to prevent checking. I'll try to dig some of mine up and post pics.

When you mentioned sealing it to prevend checking, are you talking about sealing the ends of the logs?

Sounds like a plan!!!!!

Ive also got access to some that are 30" - 36'' diameter Pine and oak some in La and some in Orangefield TX but my bros have dibs on most of these but I could coax em out of some for a gathering as we will get more,,,,

RiverRat2 said:
Ive also got access to some that are 30" - 36'' diameter Pine and oak some in La and some in Orangefield TX but my bros have dibs on most of these but I could coax em out of some for a gathering as we will get more,,,,

Those 30"+ logs are a prime candidate for the csm, either slabbingdown to a cant that will fit in a mill or qs'ing. I've got a big pin oak that falls in the 40" range I'll be playing with in a few weeks.

Won't be long I'll have to start thinking about a trailer to haul logs with...

Sawdust fever - no cure :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back