Pecan Crotch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a plan!!!!!

aggiewoodbutchr said:
It's good to see some more members from this area. Maybe a GTG is in the future for us. My place is available and I have/ can get pleanty of logs.

That would be awesome......after the first of the year Flht01 is gonna give me a shout and we are going to hook up and we will get something going...
Hope Your Christmas is Blessed, and The New Year Is Bright....

God Bless:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah we did, actually it was his idea anyway look @ page 1 of this thread,,, we are looking forward to our GTG,,,

Merry Christmas

R2'ed

When you mentioned sealing it to prevend checking, are you talking about sealing the ends of the logs?

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer this...

Yes, the ends but I also seal areas that have large amounts of edge grain showing due to the irregular grain structure of crotch wood. This has helped prevent surface checks from developing.

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer this...

Yes, the ends but I also seal areas that have large amounts of edge grain showing due to the irregular grain structure of crotch wood. This has helped prevent surface checks from developing.

I usually anchor seal the ends and any other cuts made shaping the log before milling. Hadn't thought of sealing the slab area's with end grain showing. Maybe that's why a lot of my red oak slabs cut last year will probably end up firewood :hmm3grin2orange:

I'll be milling the pecan soon, would have already started but I got tangled up with a big pin oak. That one really gave me a whole new level of respect for woodshop's methods and a new found appreciation for csm's.

Your a sick Puppy Old saw :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

21 miles...I've missed a couple over the past 9 years, but, there are still a couple of trees available, just been too wet to get into them. Hard to look at a tree anymore without doing a lumber analysis in my head.

Yes, I'm a sick puppy, I'll openly admit it....here at least.

Mark

I usually anchor seal the ends and any other cuts made shaping the log before milling. Hadn't thought of sealing the slab area's with end grain showing. Maybe that's why a lot of my red oak slabs cut last year will probably end up firewood :hmm3grin2orange:

I'll be milling the pecan soon, would have already started but I got tangled up with a big pin oak. That one really gave me a whole new level of respect for woodshop's methods and a new found appreciation for csm's.

I've given up on milling red oak around here for any thing. Southern red oak checks worse than any thing else I've milled.

What about this GTG now? I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks but how about early February?

Back