Pecan tree: root flare...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity Honoria

Reaction score
OK, i finally went out and pulled the years of leaves away from the base of the tree... but there still isn't much of a 'flare.' i tried to find a silhouette of a mature pecan tree (over 50 years old), but can't...

Questions:
1. how do i know when i have dug deep enough to expose the root flare?

2. is there a site with pictures of trees, so i can see what kind of root flare my various trees should have?

Thanks in advance...

Trinity Honoria said:
1. how do i know when i have dug deep enough to expose the root flare?
when you find the flare.
2. is there a site with pictures of trees, so i can see what kind of root flare my various trees should have?
It is best to see and touch the species growing, not just pictures on the computer screen.

treeseer said:
when you find the flare.It is best to see and touch the species growing, not just pictures on the computer screen.

ok, i have already found thready roots... the reason i asked the question is i have noticed different trees have different degree of flare... my trees are showing a slight flare (and i didn't know if that was a typical pecan, hence my question), but if i read you right, i need to dig until i find definitive roots... i read last week's thread with the pics of the young maple (i think) where the fella dug with a shovel... but am i understanding you to dig until essentially there's no more trunk without cutting through roots of size???

Trinity Honoria said:
Here is a pecan from S. Georgia...farm where my mother grew up.

File size is kinda big...on a different comp with different program..cannot get it smaller yet.

pantheraba said:
Here is a pecan from S. Georgia...farm where my mother grew up.

File size is kinda big...on a different comp with different program..cannot get it smaller yet.

thanks!!! that gives me a better idea... the one online pic i could find was a 1,000 yr old pecan, so that tree was much different than my two 50 yr old ones in the front yard...

i especially thank you for giving a helpful answer... i asked cuz if i go too deep and kill the trees, then some folks here will holler, "Why didn't you ask?" d@mned if i do, d@mned if i don't... :)

pantheraba said:
What is the link to the 1000 yr old pecan tree?...I'd love to see it.

here's the link: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_image.php?pic=227

and thank you for the additional picture!!!

i have now pulled away 3" of leaves, 1" of soil from the base of the pecans... some flare revealed; no rot, fungus, or insects visible to my untrained eye...

I would NOT dig it out with a shovel!Dig it CAREFULLY out wirh a hand trowel just where you need to to find the flare on the trunk then take a pic of the base of the tree and the soil around it and post it here.

Trinity Honoria said:
here's the link: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_image.php?pic=227

and thank you for the additional picture!!!

i have now pulled away 3" of leaves, 1" of soil from the base of the pecans... some flare revealed; no rot, fungus, or insects visible to my untrained eye...

Good then your tree is ok that way,what was your original question pertaining to?

Sheshovel said:
I would NOT dig it out with a shovel!Dig it CAREFULLY out wirh a hand trowel just where you need to to find the flare on the trunk then take a pic of the base of the tree and the soil around it and post it here.

never fear-- only used hand trowel... thanks for the feedback, tho! you never ever know which threads i've read & retained :) ...

OK I read your original post about the walkway and have a few answers for you.To be really tree freindly you need to rerout the walkway if that is at all possible.can you make it curve around the trees immediate base at all?If not do not use round pebbles as your base and useing compost under that will only bring more roots into the good soil and bring your walk back up.There are root barriers,somewhat expensive that can be laid down.But the best bet because you are tearing it out anyway is to route it curving away from the tree then back to where you want it .

Sheshovel said:
OK I read your original post about the walkway and have a few answers for you.To be really tree freindly you need to rerout the walkway if that is at all possible.can you make it curve around the trees immediate base at all?If not do not use round pebbles as your base and useing compost under that will only bring more roots into the good soil and bring your walk back up.There are root barriers,somewhat expensive that can be laid down.But the best bet because you are tearing it out anyway is to route it curving away from the tree then back to where you want it .

there's no way to re-route the walk where it is away from the trees... it's direct from the sidewalk to the front door:

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25989

have a general idea, gleaned from the posts here and a friend who's a landscaper (a plant friendly individual)-- will use the landscape felt (a type of felt recommended), then sand... the walkway has multiple problems: it is sinking in the middle area (about 1/3 of the length) so water puddles... and roots have only pushed up 2 or 3 of the pavers... the walkway has been there as long as the trees, if not longer... my main reason to even meddle with the walkway is to eliminate the puddling in the middle section and to prevent tripping on the pavers that are jutting up... will keep it where it is, as there're aren't options (other than merely mulching a walkway)

OK bring it up but me being a landscaper also recommend useing a 3' or 4' base of small crushed gravel or roadbase
under 2 or 3'of sand.Don't use sand alone it will wash out.
Tamp your base well ..wet it and tamp again..fill any low spots screed it off and lay your pavers.throw sand on top ane sweep it into the cracks several times and you are done

Sheshovel said:
a 3' or 4' base of small crushed gravel or roadbase
under 2 or 3'of sand.
Yo She, unless you are advocating six to eight feet of fill :eek: , you may want to depress the shift key when you thump the apostrophe key.

As it is, you recommend 6-8" of compacted fill, which I think is a fine idea. :angel:

Making an au naturel mulch path is a much cheaper, lower-mtc, tree-friendly plan, but it's Trin's yard. I'm sure she won't mind getting out there with a broom now and then to clear the pecan anthers and leaves and nuts and twigs, and unscuff the grit after her kids run on it.... :p

treeseer said:
Making an au naturel mulch path is a much cheaper, lower-mtc, tree-friendly plan, but it's Trin's yard. I'm sure she won't mind getting out there with a broom now and then to clear the pecan anthers and leaves and nuts and twigs, and unscuff the grit after her kids run on it.... :p

just using the 50+ year old blocks that make up the walkway... just want to raise the walk where it has dipped... as the lazy human i am, i'd rather just eliminate the trip potential with the walkway, then use mulch for the walkway to the front door.. if i've been observant, around here it seems like mulch has to be replaced yearly... is there something else 'tree friendly' other than dirt that i can do the walkway in, and not have to replace it yearly???

and how icky is mulch to walk on during our Southern extended rainy periods??? i am mulch challenged (yes, i can hear you, treeseer, saying, "Yep, got that right!")... so, am more than willing to get educated here for tree friendly pathways that are used daily by postman and family members who park on the street... the walkway isn't merely aesthetics, it's used multiple times a day...

as to using a broom, my ex-husband would tell you i only use it to fly... i dunno if he's a good reporter or not... :cool:

welll, if it's solid pavers, then keeping it clear should not be a problem. After all, you have well-trained dependents aching to earn their keep, right?

Back