Pecan tree: root flare...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeseer said:
welll, if it's solid pavers, then keeping it clear should not be a problem. After all, you have well-trained dependents aching to earn their keep, right?

the human slugs known as my children do their labors on their dad's farm; they come home to veg out... :)

OK, but you didn't answer my mulch questions... i'm not set on the pavers (but i already own them... they came with the house)... am open to other ideas that will be more tree friendly... as long as they fit into my relaxed style and are not ongoing economic drains... let's face it, if i screw up the trees, i'm gonna have a HUGE removal bill...

Well, there's always 3/4" stone: too big to track in on shoes, packs down and drains well and will be (sort of-with a little occasional help) self-leveling.

Kate Butler said:
Well, there's always 3/4" stone: too big to track in on shoes, packs down and drains well and will be (sort of-with a little occasional help) self-leveling.

yep, i love the look-- but i hate the work of getting down on my hands and knees, picking the leaves & twigs & pecans out of the rock... my neighbors prefer not to see me with my arse in the air as well... :eek:

2 words - hand-held blower (or 3 words, depending on whether hypenation counts). Being as how it's close to the house, it could be an electric (lots cheaper).

Kate Butler said:
2 words - hand-held blower (or 3 words, depending on whether hypenation counts). Being as how it's close to the house, it could be an electric (lots cheaper).

i dunno, Kate... using a blower on a little area is offensive to me (for noise level, non-human energy use, and is just... well, just doesn't make sense to me!)...

perhaps instead of a solid walk, i should just have stepping stones? essentially place the stepping stones (existing pavers) within a mulch path??? which opens up the soil...

I'm sorry I wrote feet instead of inches.Your old pathway blocks are just fine,
they are tree friendly because obviously the tree has adapted to the walkways presence there for years and years.
So use your old blocks but put down a good base and that will keep the walkway from sinking again and bring it up to drain.
The trees roots will eventually come through
a mulch walkway,a gravel walkway,
a stepping stone walkway ,and bring your old blocks back up in areas also...eventually.
So you might as well just go with what the tree is used to and rebuild your walkway with the materials that were there..
Sometimes we want to do better for our trees when the best thing for them is not to mess with them too much by "helping" them ..
Just fix the walk so it drains,and is safe to walk on and won't sink further down useing your old block and leave it at that.

Am I being heard by anybody other than you treeseer?

Sheshovel said:
Am I being heard by anybody other than you treeseer?
How many do you need? let em lurk.

Reuse blocks, and 6-8" of compacted fill it is then. Filling over roots can be proper then. I hear you and agree!

treeseer said:

Reuse blocks, and 6-8" of compacted fill it is then. Filling over roots can be proper then. I hear you and agree!

sigh... i finally was going to take your advice, treeseer... and embed the blocks as "stepping stones" in a path of mulch... for one thing, then when roots push up a block, i only had to fiddle with the mulch in that one spot...

also, i don't need 6"-8" of fill... i was going to lift all the blocks (20" x 11.5" x 2.5"), use a string from the front steps to the sidewalk to create a "level," then estimate the amount of fill needed... to make the walkway level, probably slight incline to sidewalk as the mid-yard soil is 3-4" higher than the sidewalk... probably highest area will need no more than 4" of fill...

and Sheshovel, if you notice many discussions here are only a public discussion between a handful of folks-- look at the number of views of the discussion... that gives you an idea of how many people are lurking and reading...

treeseer said:

In her situation yes because it is only the walkway area,had it been more area than that I would have said NO.

Latest posts

Back