People are just stupid some times.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that all the time it don't bother me much because their not gonna get it done for nothing by any insured tree service :dizzy:

free work

never has it been more true. "you get what you pay for". I can't let it bother me, its like the guys that advertise around here, we will cut your tees for free, if we can keep the firewood. then they charge up the wazoo for brush chipping or pine tree removal. actually i think they are out of business now. I wonder why?

If it was close to me I could knock those out in less then a hour.

lmao your closer than me but my low dollar is 12 per here and we have the worst conditions imaginable all rock! If there's 30 plus stumps I will do them for that here! Or if 1000 stumps I would drive long distances for 12 as new teeth cost $ :hmm3grin2orange:

Incredibly ignorant...the customer, that is

Perhaps they have never had stumps ground, so for their first lesson they are bent on learning by experience and not by study. Some folks think experience is the best teacher and they learn the HARD WAY that Ms. Experience gives the exam before she gives the lesson. So I foresee they will get an inexperienced stumper who needs work, doesn't have a clue as to time and cost to grind stumps and is anxious to give this one a try. The customer and the stumper, if they agree to the job terms, will both loose out. How about a follow up on this case!

There is a thread on AS about craigslist laughs. Lots of ads like this, free wood (junk), overpriced saws etc. I've often wondered if these people actually get desired results from these ads. It's one of the problem with free sites, since it doesn't cost to advertise then I've got nothing to lose, there is a sucker born every day. That being said I've had good luck buying and selling on craigslist.

Craigslist

I hat finding people like this on Craig's list it just kinda ticks me off.
2 very large maple trees and large black walnut tree. You cut and take

Anyone else find these people aggregating? I understand looking for a good deal on tree work but free? Don't they think other people are trying to make a living too?

Hi Folks. New member here at ArboristSite, actually my first comment, and I have a rare craigslist success story. Last year in my slow season I was hunting jobs and searched craigslist. The ad started to make me laugh, "Free logs, you cut" , then I saw the photos. Two very large black walnut trees. I responded and met with the home owner to inspect the trees and was interested. I have a good relationship with a log buyer at nearby sawmill and he said he would xray the logs, and if no defects, would buy them. Contracted with owner to take down trees, cut limbs to firewood, pile brush, and remove only the logs. Long story longer, all logs graded out, no metal or bird peck, etc. Two butt logs roughly 30" on small end, and two nice saw logs roughly 26" on small end. Total=14 man hours and $1800 after expenses. Like you all know, rare, but thought I'd share.

Hi Folks. New member here at ArboristSite, actually my first comment, and I have a rare craigslist success story. Last year in my slow season I was hunting jobs and searched craigslist. The ad started to make me laugh, "Free logs, you cut" , then I saw the photos. Two very large black walnut trees. I responded and met with the home owner to inspect the trees and was interested. I have a good relationship with a log buyer at nearby sawmill and he said he would xray the logs, and if no defects, would buy them. Contracted with owner to take down trees, cut limbs to firewood, pile brush, and remove only the logs. Long story longer, all logs graded out, no metal or bird peck, etc. Two butt logs roughly 30" on small end, and two nice saw logs roughly 26" on small end. Total=14 man hours and $1800 after expenses. Like you all know, rare, but thought I'd share.

Welcome bandit! Glad it worked out for ya.

That sound like a win, I don't have that luck here.The mill here will tell you big dollars and then when you get there, they low ball you, because they know that you don't want to leave with the logs. I had taken out a large oak a few years ago. 40" DBH, 20ft long straight as a arrow. One of my guys begged me not to turn into fire wood and take it to the mill. I kept telling him it was a waste of time, but insisted that I let him do it and he would split the money with me. " They will pay a grand for this thing" I played along. He called his buddy with a roll off wrecker truck, he showed grabbed the log and took it to the mill. Charged him a 100 to do it...........mill paid him 125,lol. I told him he could keep my half of the 25 bucks!

That sound like a win, I don't have that luck here.The mill here will tell you big dollars and then when you get there, they low ball you, because they know that you don't want to leave with the logs. I had taken out a large oak a few years ago. 40" DBH, 20ft long straight as a arrow. One of my guys begged me not to turn into fire wood and take it to the mill. I kept telling him it was a waste of time, but insisted that I let him do it and he would split the money with me. " They will pay a grand for this thing" I played along. He called his buddy with a roll off wrecker truck, he showed grabbed the log and took it to the mill. Charged him a 100 to do it...........mill paid him 125,lol. I told him he could keep my half of the 25 bucks!

I'm seriously surprised ya'all have a mill there all I remember of Iowa was corn and elevators :) Well until you got near nebraska then a tad of trees but seemed like only near rivers !

Latest posts

Back