Percentage of people strictly looking for cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i run into the same stuff here i would like to know if 500 dollar bid was insured i would say no

I would bet anything that character doesn't have any ins. of any kind. Ruiz trees is new to me. I had never heard of him before I gave that quote. More than likely the HO got him out of a little local advertiser that comes in the mail free to everybody whether you want it or not. Just about all of them of that caliber advertise in that deal and also do the door knocking thing.

This thread is sure going places, all over the place. And all that asked was what the percentage was. Well I looked it up on Google, it said 99.9999 %. Ya got to find that onehundredthousandths out there and you'll be on yer way.

This thread is sure going places, all over the place. And all that asked was what the percentage was. Well I looked it up on Google, it said 99.9999 %. Ya got to find that onehundredthousandths out there and you'll be on yer way.

After today I'm starting to believe that.

I read an article the other day about how the illegal invasion, the 1986 amnesty and now the pending amnesty of 15,000,000 illegal aliens has and is reducing what you can get for any green industry job. In the South we have been feeling that since the mid nineties. The 1986 amnesty opened the flood gates for millions of illegals to come here in the following years and you know this one will too...I figure you guys "up north" will feel it pretty soon.

Ha, please. Us guys up north have been feeling it for years! Ill snap some pictures of the illegal work pools out here in plain sight of immigration. It's like a one stop work force.

That will be changing in the future, you can bank on it.

I agree. I own my bobcat, chippers, bucket and trucks and personal vehicle outright. It allows me to come in lower than the bigger guys while maintaining the same margin of profit. I just have to make sure I leave a proper amount aside to put into the maintenance kitty. I would be crapping my pants on a regular basis if I had payments on all my stuff. Guessing it would be upwards of 7-8 grand a month with insurance.

We bid on this job 3 weeks ago and got a call back saying someone else was doing it $350 cheaper we drove by and saw some hacks on a ladder 2 days later, so we drove by today and this is how far they got in 3 weeks.

View attachment 299823

I love the brush pile out by the road lol.

trying to be cheap is ok on somethings i guss but its not allways worth it years ago we where doing storm clean up when the guy next door to where we were working came over to ask how much to take a broken lead off a slash pine i told him 100 dollars being nice about 20 ft up no big deal he told me i was crazy he would have his son do it we saw them come out with there ladder and saw we went in back yard of are job site next thing i hear is one of my guys screaming i ran up front leads down next door so is ladder and the son we did what we could to help it was not pretty cheap is not allways better

Yo, Bro, please use punctuation and spell check, your post's are hard to read.

What percentage? That's a hard one. This is a never ending situation, you are always going to have those that only want cheap. Face it, most people would rather not spend money on trees, they, a lot of the time, have to. Dead tree, branch on roof, broken storm stuff, etc. Those who don't have a lot of money, need to stretch their dollar as far as possible. I'm putting a kid thru college, I do it too. The way I battle "barging hunters" is going after a better client base. I can go out and do a few small jobs, at hi-end home's, charge them a good, fair price and still make more money than the door knockers with 8 guys waiting to go. I have equipment, not a lot, but enough. I go after the ones who want to take care of their tree's, who want a pro that is clean and courteous, one who has a good track record and uses PPE. If you are good at what you do, and run a legit show, the client base grows and the phone starts ringing with clients that you have had for years, it maybe time for them to prune all the trees on their property or it may be a invitation to their kids graduation party. These peeps, that are hi-rollers, mingle often, and they love to talk about (brag) their big bad aas house and all the money they spend on it. They love even more to brag about the quality people that they use. I get invited to these events sometimes and go when ever I can. The conversations are always going in the direction of "I will only have so-in-so do my trees, painting, carpentry" They like to share good people and will often be your best advertisement. I have a guy who is a VP at Deere, who I swear drives around his hood and hands out my cards! He loves us and is always looking for a reason to have us out. Once you get a client base like this, you don't need to worry about the low ballers or bargain hunters. Don't get me wrong, if the work drys up, I will be right out there bidding any call that comes in, no matter the location. But so far, doing it the way JPS taught me has worked wonderfully. I dropped out of the phone book a while back and my client base changed drastically, my call volume dropped but my call quality increased ten fold. I hardly ever work in hoods like my own, if I do, most of the time its a rental property of my clients. This transfers directly to commercial, as a lot of your hi-end client's own or run a large business. They always call me for anything tree related to their commercial sites. Many times we will get calls, they leave the address and based on that alone, I don't bid. I know that sounds snotty but I know the hoods around here pretty well and I know which ones are not worth my time and the ones to stay out of period. Thugs and crackies. The hacks can have them. Now, with all that being said. I do find it hard to pass up on a guy who knows he needs to hire a pro, wants to hire a pro, but just simply does not have the money. When I come across those. I feel guilty and will try and work something out for them. And I NEVER leave a Marine hanging, no matter where he lives or how much money he has. If he is a Jarhead, got em covered. What percentage? I am sure everyone's demographic is different, so each answer will be different as well.

Last edited:
There again, I think a lot of it has to do with where you are geographically. About half of them around here aren't scared of cheap cheap. And I think that's probably true of anywhere in the South or Southwest based on folks in the business I have conversed with over the last couple of years. And yes, people don't value quality of work or customer service as much as they used to, at least in my area.

I've seen 80's pricing, I lowered my rates twice and still getting underbid :confused:

One thing is for sure...it has got to where the sorriest crap calls you will get come from the yellow pages.

Good, fast and cheap

I took a chipper in for engine service today, and my diesel mechanic had a new sign up. You may have seen it before, but I had a laugh and thought I'd share ,as I thought it applies to tree work also.

We do three types of jobs here...
GOOD, FAST, AND CHEAP
YOU MAY CHOOSE TWO!!

If it is Good and Cheap,
it will not be Fast.

If it is Good and Fast,
it will not be Cheap.

If it is Fast and Cheap,
it will not be Good.

Ha. I've been hammering them with prices just high enough to stay in business.

Your doing 2950 a day and struggling ! Shame on you ........ For complaining even a bit ! Your making more then what some very large companies charge for a bucket/chipper and three guys , like almost double , so unless your only working 1/2 days a week ..... You should pipe down ...... :hmm3grin2orange:

Your doing 2950 a day and struggling ! Shame on you ........ For complaining even a bit ! Your making more then what some very large companies charge for a bucket/chipper and three guys , like almost double , so unless your only working 1/2 days a week ..... You should pipe down ...... :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, yeah, you are right.

Its just the way people are today. Complain about work, prices and everything else they know nothing about. Once had a guy I was milling for tell me .30 a bdft was too high for mobile milling he said he had a guy charging .20 a bdft.

I told him if he expected me to fell his trees cut 2000 bdft. in a day and travel 100 miles and net less than $150 he was an idiot.

Of course most people think tree removal, logging and milling costs are not much.... LOL

Most of the time it is the large trees that go cheap. I recently bid on a large Siberian elm, over a fence, power line, and busy road. The "professionals" doing the work quoted $750 and they were not even the lowest bid. I know they will go out of business, but as it has been said before, there is always be someone to replace them.

I want to correct you, these people who bid jobs dirt cheap cant go out of business, because they have no business. To have a business you have trucks, trailers, tractors, various other high dollar equipment that costs money used or not to keep up. A shop extra property taxes if your lucky to keep it away from your house, a separate power bill for that shop, a gas bill that makes you feel sick when you pay it...........This is why business owners loose sleep and drunks just pass out. If you can work on the cheap just to make ends meet in between welfare checks then you don't have a business.

Wow I just went on a rant, that felt good!
well its Sunday morning and the coffee is about gone that means its time to go clean equipment and pack the truck for Monday. <-----my help, the people who will make a mess of a removal, your house, or your yard, and the person who thinks that price is way too high doesn't have to work every day of the week just to get paid for 5 so why would they understand why it cost so much to have it done right.

Latest posts

Back