Phoenix trees around my pool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraco Fuzzy Bir

Reaction score
Hi all,

I stumpled across this site the other day and wondered where it was my whole life! This site is SO needed.

My question is: I am building a house in a south suburb on Phoenix, AZ and have gotten so many contrary opinions on planting trees. I want the perfect tree which I realize I will not get, but I am wondering what I should plant.

My requirements: Rapid growing, evergreen, shade tree, with no thorns, does not have invasive roots, and is relatively low water use. Like I said, I realize it is the perfect tree.

I have a desert front yard and a pool in the back. My wife is not very partial to palms either. Any suggestions?

Kraco Fuzzy Bird

Thanks for the reply Rocky.

Actually, there are a few that I am considering:

Indian Rosewood - semi decidous so it would have to go in the front yard.

Ficus Nitilda (sp) - rumor is invasive roots and I have seen them take frost damage in the Phx area. With a pool, I am ruling out right now.

Silk Oak - I think I had one and was told it was an Ash when I moved into my current house. I had to cut it down because 3 out of 4 neighbors planted trees in the same corner and it didn't like being grown into. I think it will work good in the new house. Leaves that fall don't blow around alot.

Silver Gum Eucaliptis - I saw at "Treeland" has potential, but wife may not like.

Chilean Mesquite - This one is going somewhere, but haven't decided in the front yard or back yet. Only heard one complaint about it having invasive roots and others say it does not.

I guess I am doing better than I had thought!

The other big question is which size to purchase. LOL

KFB

Chilean Mesquite like the native Prosopis glandulosa (BBQ Mesquite) is a VERY tap rooted species. No worries about invasive to a pool!!

BTW - Remember it is a freakin' DESERT!!! Don't be afraid to stay natural.

Oh yeah, nursery pesonell are really hard to trust as they usually just deal with the trees as they go out the door at 2 inches in diameter, not 15 or 50 yrs later. Find a GOOD one. I always like to say plant a legacy for a future generation, not a liability for your retirement.

What kind of perimeter are we talking about...the distance from poolside to fenceline?

9 years ago planted two Mexican fan palms eight feet from pool - today are more than 35 ft high w/ a dba of 2 feet ten inches. No disturbance on ground, no pool problems. Left frongs last five years - intact still. Beautiful and required less water than I thought they would.

My first thought when reading your parameters was Silk Oak. There are a lot of choices viable for Phoenix but perfect by your definition is tough. Personally I'd choose a Citrus (Orange or Tangerine) but it doesn't fit with your ideal.

Thanks for all the input.

You are right about the nurseries. A reliable one is difficult to find that isn't pushing the tree of the week down here.

The pool has about 100' by 40' backyard on a 1/3 acre lot. The pool will be right in the middle and in about 30' x 10'. There is alot of room in the backyard even with the pool. I can plant a tree far enough away from the pool and the block fence to avoid reflective heat. I do want some quick(?) shade. I am planning a pergoda or trellis shaded sitting area on the other side of the pool with vines(not yet decided). On either side of the trellis, will be a raised flower garden or colorful small niative plants with Texas Mountain Laurel trees. The areas on the sides of the pool is where I haven't decided what it do and can't get past the tree idea. I would like an area to put up a tent for my son.

The intent is to make the property low water desert in the front yard and a suitable pool backyard with shade and drought tolarant low litter plants with a few flower beds around. The side of the house will have the garden.

I did consider a naval orange tree at one point. Not sure why I dropped the idea.

I am not sure a pool, native trees, possibly palm trees, and fruit trees will all work together without a master plan. My plan after picking the pool was to pick the trees, then the bushes, etc. No lawn though. Going for low water use.

I hope I answered the questions. Feedback appreciated!
KFB

Latest posts

Back