Phoenix trees around my pool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraco Fuzzy Bir

Kraco Fuzzy Bir

Hi all,

I stumpled across this site the other day and wondered where it was my whole life! This site is SO needed.

My question is: I am building a house in a south suburb on Phoenix, AZ and have gotten so many contrary opinions on planting trees. I want the perfect tree which I realize I will not get, but I am wondering what I should plant.

My requirements: Rapid growing, evergreen, shade tree, with no thorns, does not have invasive roots, and is relatively low water use. Like I said, I realize it is the perfect tree.

I have a desert front yard and a pool in the back. My wife is not very partial to palms either. Any suggestions?

Kraco Fuzzy Bird

Kraco Fuzzy Bir

Kraco Fuzzy Bir

Thanks for the reply Rocky.

Actually, there are a few that I am considering:

Indian Rosewood - semi decidous so it would have to go in the front yard.

Ficus Nitilda (sp) - rumor is invasive roots and I have seen them take frost damage in the Phx area. With a pool, I am ruling out right now.

Silk Oak - I think I had one and was told it was an Ash when I moved into my current house. I had to cut it down because 3 out of 4 neighbors planted trees in the same corner and it didn't like being grown into. I think it will work good in the new house. Leaves that fall don't blow around alot.

Silver Gum Eucaliptis - I saw at "Treeland" has potential, but wife may not like.

Chilean Mesquite - This one is going somewhere, but haven't decided in the front yard or back yet. Only heard one complaint about it having invasive roots and others say it does not.

I guess I am doing better than I had thought!

The other big question is which size to purchase. LOL

KFB

Nathan Wreyford

Nathan Wreyford

ArboristSite Operative
Chilean Mesquite like the native Prosopis glandulosa (BBQ Mesquite) is a VERY tap rooted species. No worries about invasive to a pool!!

BTW - Remember it is a freakin' DESERT!!! Don't be afraid to stay natural.

Oh yeah, nursery pesonell are really hard to trust as they usually just deal with the trees as they go out the door at 2 inches in diameter, not 15 or 50 yrs later. Find a GOOD one. I always like to say plant a legacy for a future generation, not a liability for your retirement.

Reed

Addicted to ArboristSite
What kind of perimeter are we talking about...the distance from poolside to fenceline?

9 years ago planted two Mexican fan palms eight feet from pool - today are more than 35 ft high w/ a dba of 2 feet ten inches. No disturbance on ground, no pool problems. Left frongs last five years - intact still. Beautiful and required less water than I thought they would.

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
My first thought when reading your parameters was Silk Oak. There are a lot of choices viable for Phoenix but perfect by your definition is tough. Personally I'd choose a Citrus (Orange or Tangerine) but it doesn't fit with your ideal.

Kraco Fuzzy Bir

Kraco Fuzzy Bir

Thanks for all the input.

You are right about the nurseries. A reliable one is difficult to find that isn't pushing the tree of the week down here.

The pool has about 100' by 40' backyard on a 1/3 acre lot. The pool will be right in the middle and in about 30' x 10'. There is alot of room in the backyard even with the pool. I can plant a tree far enough away from the pool and the block fence to avoid reflective heat. I do want some quick(?) shade. I am planning a pergoda or trellis shaded sitting area on the other side of the pool with vines(not yet decided). On either side of the trellis, will be a raised flower garden or colorful small niative plants with Texas Mountain Laurel trees. The areas on the sides of the pool is where I haven't decided what it do and can't get past the tree idea. I would like an area to put up a tent for my son.

The intent is to make the property low water desert in the front yard and a suitable pool backyard with shade and drought tolarant low litter plants with a few flower beds around. The side of the house will have the garden.

I did consider a naval orange tree at one point. Not sure why I dropped the idea.

I am not sure a pool, native trees, possibly palm trees, and fruit trees will all work together without a master plan. My plan after picking the pool was to pick the trees, then the bushes, etc. No lawn though. Going for low water use.

I hope I answered the questions. Feedback appreciated!
KFB

Latest posts