Phone must be ringing off the hook on this Craigslist ad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace Tree

Impossible Access
Reaction score
Tree Climbers Columbus Ohio Experienced Only (Columbus Ohio)
Date: 2011-03-27, 1:16PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Looking to hire experienced only tree climbers $15-$20HR Full Time. Mon-Fri.off weekends

*Must have own saddle, spikes and rope. Hand Lines are supplied.

Must be proficient at rigging and know common knots as well as pruning/take down procedures.

Pay is 15-20HR depending on experience.

*You MUST have a valid reference from a REAL tree company.

All applicants will be required to take a skills test in a tree at our shop.

Tree Service Columbus Ohio, Tree Trimming Columbus Ohio 614-554-8937 ***DO NOT CALL IF YOU DID NOT WORK FOR A TREE SERVICE***

It looks like a reasonable job opportunity to me.

They are targeting a likely source of potential employees, they point out the obvious risks, and they tell you what you will get paid for getting training.

They are as "straight-up" as the glamorous U.S. Army ads, that never seem to mention that you will get shipped off to places where everybody wants to kill you.

OK, picture this: You are a high school athlete that did poorly in school, you never got a scholarship and you were always getting in trouble for your risky behavior, so getting a decent job is going to be a BIG challenge. Trade school is out, 'cause you don't read so well. All the decent construction jobs seem to be taken by old-timers and mexicans. Janitorial work looms on the horizon, but that isn't too appealing. $11.00/hr to get trained for a fun career is starting to sound like a good offer.

15 to 20 dollars an hour is about the pay scale here in so. Cal. for a good experienced average climber. Its more then what the mega-tree company's are paying their climbers and bucket babys.
I don't doubt if that ad ran here in So Calif. their phone would be ringing off the hook. They had better habla espanual though.

15 to 20 dollars an hour is about the pay scale here in so. Cal. for a good experienced average climber. Its more then what the mega-tree company's are paying their climbers and bucket babys.
I don't doubt if that ad ran here in So Calif. their phone would be ringing off the hook. They had better habla espanual though.

That surprises me. With the cost of surviving out there I would think it would be much higher.
Phil

If you seen the vast majority of tree work out here you'd understand. Its even worse with this depression were in. Lots of unemployed trimmers, lot of low balling, Things are picking up some, but no where near what it was 4 years ago.
I do alright my self, but I have a good rep for the most part and know a few people. I just turned 53, Im slowing down some just a fact of life, If I was looking for work and got on a production crew Id probably get around 12 to 13.50 an hour, not that I would even want to trim 20 trees a day. I'm lucky my wife is a computer programer.

If you seen the vast majority of tree work out here you'd understand. Its even worse with this depression were in. Lots of unemployed trimmers, lot of low balling, Things are picking up some, but no where near what it was 4 years ago.
I do alright my self, but I have a good rep for the most part and know a few people. I just turned 53, Im slowing down some just a fact of life, If I was looking for work and got on a production crew Id probably get around 12 to 13.50 an hour, not that I would even want to trim 20 trees a day. I'm lucky my wife is a computer programer.

Amen

Its insane what people are willing to work for these days. We had a walk on tell us he'd happily work for 5/hr. He wasn't hispanic either. We ended up just giving him $50 to walk around picking up trash for the day.

It looks like a reasonable job opportunity to me.

They are targeting a likely source of potential employees, they point out the obvious risks, and they tell you what you will get paid for getting training.

They are as "straight-up" as the glamorous U.S. Army ads, that never seem to mention that you will get shipped off to places where everybody wants to kill you.

OK, picture this: You are a high school athlete that did poorly in school, you never got a scholarship and you were always getting in trouble for your risky behavior, so getting a decent job is going to be a BIG challenge. Trade school is out, 'cause you don't read so well. All the decent construction jobs seem to be taken by old-timers and mexicans. Janitorial work looms on the horizon, but that isn't too appealing. $11.00/hr to get trained for a fun career is starting to sound like a good offer.

I am sorry but what you said doesn't seem to have much to do with the posters topic in the slightest. Who said anything about 11 bucks an hour for paid training? They are looking for a younger skilled guy to make the mark for them. If they were looking for a older loud mouth know it all like you and me they would have offered more money plus benifits.

Sorry dude; you should have followed the thread a pinch closer. I was responding to the comments directly above mine, which were related to this:

But you are right about the OP wanting to hire someone besides know-it-alls like you and I. It might also be that they already have an adequate supply of know-it-alls.

...probably some of the guys that we talk to all the time here at AS.

Well.I suppose there are some benefits..like paid workman's comp.Paid holidays?Winter overtime.Lot of people hurting right now.Work is work.
I need an extra climber?300.a day.Guys a winner.Worth every cent.
Lots of buzzards around,doing crap work.Some clients don't give a rat's twetty.Hack it and sack it...And it looks it.So it goes...:laugh:
cheers

When I get an low pay offer like those.............

my response is always " well know you know why you're always looking for a climber".

Seems easier to pay more and get a good one and keep him around but hey, what the hell do I know.

When we hire a climber, he leaves his gear at home and is free to do side work on his own time. I will outfit you with everything you need and it will be new gear. You will get a great saddle and 200T and all the rope you need. Very competitive market in So-Cal, but we hang!
Jeff :msp_wink:

With illegals taking over the market down here and willing to work for dirt with no insurance 20 an hour for a climber isn't bad. Even if you're a climbing foreman with a cdl you're probably only getting 22-25.

If that company has full insurance and can give you a solid 40 a week plus a little overtime it doesn't seem to bad to me.

Back