pick my chains. advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so I have a stihl 021 and they chain is well past worn. couldnt be sharpend again no way. on the bar is 16" and .050
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WPL 30LP56#a
thats what im gonna buy i think. just making sure it will fit? and im just confused on the pitch? I live in southwest ohio and cut both medium and hardwood(hedge,oak,ash,walnut) but try to stay away from soft wood. i rarely hit the dirt and i really am looking for something to cut hard.

also for my ms310 what would yall recommend? its got the stock bar but its chain can wait, but might as well order a spare now to.

if you guys need anymore info or have any questions i can answer. any opinion is helpful and i do have a good amount of experience so safety is not a factor:D
I have a guy that sharpens chains for me, and Ill be buying some more files to match the chains.
Thanks again, you guys are the best:msp_thumbup:

semi chisel skip round? full chisel? its all confusing is what im getting at. I just want a good 1 that will get me threw the firewood season and all the wood is clean

Last edited:
With "picco" or low-profile chain, you don't have a lot of choices. I'm running Oregon 91VXL on my low profile saws; it cuts a lot faster than the safety chains that came on the saws. That Woodland Pro chain that you linked looks like the same thing. Are you sure it's the right length? 16" could mean 55, 56, or 57 drive links.

For the 310, assuming that takes .325 or .375" regular chain, use a semi-chisel chain in hard wood. A full-chisel will start out cutting faster, but it will also dull faster. You don't need a skip chain unless you have a ridiculously long bar on the saw.

Last edited:
For a 45 cc or less 3/8 low profile semi chisel is fine. For 45 cc to 60cc you have two choices .325 an 3/8 chain. For 65 cc to 130 cc you have two choices .404 an 3/8 chain, 3/8 is the most commonly used . Full chisel is best for really clean wood because any dirt will dull it quickly. Semi chisel is the best al purpose chain less likely to dull quickly.

:msp_smile:

Your 021 should be .325 pitch. Which leaves ya with plain old chisel in the woodman pro. It's not bad, and I run a lot of it. Sometimes though, it will need the file right out of the box. The other option is Oregon LPX, which is nice and fast out of the box, but it dosn't seem to keep an edge as well.

ETA.. just realized your 021 was running the 3/8 Picco. Oops!!
The loop ya listed would be the Carlton/Baileys version.

Should have 3/8(.375) on the 310.
For firewood it's tough to beat running the Bailys Woodman pro SC. It's a little slower cutting than full chisel, but stays there long after full chisel is shooting powder and needing the file. Easy to field file the SC as well, and a touch of the file every other tank in clean wood is usually all is needed.

The full chisel woodsman pro RC is the way to go if ya gotta have fast, and don't want to put up with the Oregon LGX going duller than a frisbee between tanks. But just like with the .325 stuff, ya might have to hit it with the file out of the box.

Not sure if they still are doing it, but Baileys was having a sale on chain, and ya get a bottle of thier synthetic 2 cycle with each loop. It's good stuff, and makes the chain prices even better.

Good luck to ya!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
so semi chisel is the middle of speed and durability?
sounds like thats what ill go for something that doesnt need sharpend on a daily basis but will wont take a week to cut a limb.
i guess will any tooth chain work as long as its 16"?

and yes kickback is not a issue

so will the link i posted be good for what ive described?
Bailey's - 16" WoodlandPro Chainsaw Chain Loop
thanks again
ill order 2.

021 bar says: 55 tooth, 16",.050,picco
310 says 72 tooth 3/8th .050 20"
but on the baileys website it doesnt say teeth on the chain. so my question is every 16" chain with have 55 teeth? as with 20" 72 teeth? sorry i feel so dumb:bang: I just dont wanna order the wrong thing

got everything ordered. thanks again guys:msp_thumbup:

Did you order the right number of drive links? (your guide bar says 55 and the Baileys link in your first post was for a 56)

72 links (for the 310) is a common length chain for a 20" bar. My 20" saw takes 70-link chain, which is a little harder to find sometimes.

Did you order the right number of drive links? (your guide bar says 55 and the Baileys link in your first post was for a 56)

72 links (for the 310) is a common length chain for a 20" bar. My 20" saw takes 70-link chain, which is a little harder to find sometimes.[/QUOTE
Yes after a hr I ordered 3chains and some files. And yes the links are correct. Thanks again this site rocks!:msp_thumbsup:

Back