Picked up some Cedar today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
The butt log is rotten at the core, but I should be able to salvage a few boards from it. The second log 7' up the stem still has a little soft spot in the center, but it's mostly good. Loading those things by hand without any help or tractor was a chore... I'm whooped.

I also have to tell on myself. Every so often you read a thread about someone "waterproofing" one of their boots and chap legs with bar oil after forgetting to put the cap back on after filling their saw. I never thought I'd be posting one of those, but my chaps are currently soaking in the sink. :dizzy:

Ian

attachment.php

Last edited:
Lotsa sweat equity in that load

Loading those things by hand without any help or tractor was a chore... I'm whooped.

Ian

WOW! You need a beer after all that work.:lifter:

My back aches in sympathy for you. That cedar should give you lots of good boards for your projects.

I envy you folks that have large cedar like that available. There is some around here, but not a lot, and usually not that large. Nice score. When I lived down in southern Maryland, there was so much cedar it was almost a weed tree in some areas. Some of the rural parts of So Md you could still get huge 24"+ cedar logs.

LOL... funny. Kinked pickup tube was the culprit. got 2 more slabs off before it got dark on me.

Ian

the largest one is about 18" the long way. Too bad the rot will make getting boards off it a pain. I may just chop it up and toss the whole thing in the burn pit since I have several other cedars I can get. There's one other at least that big and 3 or 4 in the 12" range.

Ian

Back