Picked up some more inventory today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was driving along one day last week and spotted these. A few phone calls and a couple hours work with the help of my BIL and a skid steer, they've come home to papa.:) 34" dbh water oak and a smaller elm (not sure exactly what kind). I left the crotches larger than usual to leave me with options down the road.

Don't underestimate the capabilities of a 50cc class saw. I bucked all these with an 034 w/ 20" bar.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice Aggie, can't wait to see some of the crotch figure that you slice out of some of those pieces. Wish I had heavy equipment to grab logs out of peoples yards and take them "home to papa".:(

dustytools said:
Are you gonna get us some pics of the mill running through it Aggie?

Yup, when my saw gets back...

Meanwhile, I'm stocking up on logs and supplies. I have a total of 8 30"-50" logs and several smaller logs in possession. I've even modified my GB mill to fix some things I didn't like.

Awsome pics aggie! Got to ask how you like your skid steer? Local guy here has one and likes it pretty well compared to others. Those graples on the bucket did they come on it or is that something you added? They look like something I need to add to my loader bucket. I think it would be about as handy as a pocket dealing with timber.

Smokindodgew101 said:
Awsome pics aggie! Got to ask how you like your skid steer? Local guy here has one and likes it pretty well compared to others. Those graples on the bucket did they come on it or is that something you added? They look like something I need to add to my loader bucket. I think it would be about as handy as a pocket dealing with timber.

Ya, I would say he LIKES IT. Sure beats a cant hook. Of course woodshop uses a car jack.

Adrpk said:
Ya, I would say he LIKES IT. Sure beats a cant hook. Of course woodshop uses a car jack.

Easier on the back yes. Profitable, cheap on fuel, last forever, and easy to get parts for? That is more what I was trying to ask. That is the second one of those machines I've ever 'seen' and I was curious about them. Lot of the import stuff is great and will run forever but on some of them forget about parts any time this month.

Smokindodgew101 said:
Easier on the back yes. Profitable, cheap on fuel, last forever, and easy to get parts for? That is more what I was trying to ask. That is the second one of those machines I've ever 'seen' and I was curious about them. Lot of the import stuff is great and will run forever but on some of them forget about parts any time this month.

:cheers:

SmokinDodge said:

This takeuchi belongs to my BIL who bought it for hurricane cleanup in Mississippi. The grapple bucket is something he bought separately. It's a great machine. Powerful and relatively easy to use with the pilot controls. The rubber tracks have pros and cons. They sink less in soft ground but tend to slip more on slick surfaces than wheels. The Bobcat that has appeared in a few previous pictures is a smaller machine and has wheels w/ removable steel tracks. Traction on that setup is outstanding but it wouldn't be able to pick up those logs big with out tipping over. I've operated several other brands of skid steers and I have to say my favorite has been a New Holland 185 series. The balance of the machine and control response make it a quick and snappy operator.

Thanks for the info. Would you mind to snap a few pictures of his grapple set up next time it's handy? I'd like to fab a set of those for the bucket of my 4320. I'll even e-mail ya a Miller Lite! :biggrinbounce2:

SmokinDodge said:
Thanks for the info. Would you mind to snap a few pictures of his grapple set up next time it's handy? I'd like to fab a set of those for the bucket of my 4320. I'll even e-mail ya a Miller Lite! :biggrinbounce2:

Sure thing. It might take a day or three. It's on another job now.

Back