pickup truck chip box ideas please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumper,
I wanted to be able to load and unload all pieces by myself so wieght was considered. I'll also be adding more hardware for holding loppers and hedge clippers, shovel on the inside walls. I cant stand having a bunch of clutter up in the cab.

Looks good to David.

Seriously... get the 'load handler', the roll out tarp system. With the size of your set-up, it'll work like a charm. I've had mine for 5 years now, and we still use it in the pick-up bed... unloads wood to when you do small take-downs or whatever.

Cost is about $60 US I think ( I paid $80 Cdn)

I got mine at a farm supply store, I'm sure you could find one some where...

Originally posted by Stumper
Nice workmanship David. I have a question (not intended as criticism) Why didn't you extend the side panels all the way to the back of the bed?:angel:

I would guess it's for more head-room near where you're likely to be handling big chunks of wood? Not a bad idea, when you think about it!

Err... Stumper?

Wouldn't that let you load it from the SIDE? Ya know, instead of where the chipper is hitched? Room to reach in would include yer head ( to see where you're plantin' 'em). With all the chips being blown in front, whatever won't fit in the chipper can get checked towards the rear.

;):D

Simplicity is good

I'll tell, and it does make sense.

His head is above and toward the back end of the truck, as in, loading on firewood. If you stack em in there, in a logical sort of mess, you shift the firewood rounds so that 1) you can fit more in there, or 2) line them up so they come off easy. Without a 'dump' bed, you think about these things.

If you plan to be in and out of there every couple hundred pounds of chips to spread out another one of those six, 8 x 10 tarps, you don't necesarily want to ganonk your noodles repeatedly, in the name of fair, hard work.

Either way, it will serve you (and your melon) that advantage to not have the restrictions of a 'roof' toward the far back of the truck. Less is more .

Any solutions to minimizing the overspray, and chippage that will inevitably bounce back out of the box??? Anyone??? -TM-

:rolleyes: Ask a question about SIDE panels and everyone starts talking about ROOFS.
Eric made a point about loading chunks(which is valid) but I'm accustomed to loading them from the rear and would not like to sacrifice chip capacity by omitting the rear portion of the side panels.

Yeah, but if chip capacity was REALLY what yer after you wouldn't be doing it in a pickup to begin with. :D

Thinking outside of the chip box

if chip capacity was REALLY what yer after you wouldn't be doing it in a pickup to begin with
Yes, I'm from the school that, As Timber makes mention, VERSATILITY rules.

In my experience, chips find a home, especially when the leaves are off. The more local chips can be 'donated' the more efficient, economical and environmentally friendly is your task.

In the photos, you can see to the left of the chip box, an accessory area was left for utility stuff, or an occasional log. It cuts into my chip box space, as does the storage area underneath the chip box space, but the versatility and organization benefits the treeguy and anyone helping him, greatly.

Getting the chips off in a swift and effortless manner is a goal I'm striving for. Specifically, I would like to be able to transfer the chips onto the bed of another pickup truck. This is why I'm going to build one of these flatbed systems this Spring out of aluminum, and get the conveyor floor tweaked in properly. Its a fun project. -TM-

Yeah the cruisers a beast, but loaded with a 9 inch on the back with the hilly town I live in it needs to have a split gearbox as 5 just isnt enough! It gets thrashed hard and occationally breaks the odd leaf spring.

Tried out the new chip box today. I had 1- 40' and 1-30' cedar take downs & a few limbs to remove on a sycamore. Then ended up removing a small 30' pine for there next door neighbor. The only wood I did not get on the truck was about 14 cedar chunks. I probly could have fit them on but job was only a few miles from home so I'll pick them up monday. My wife & I knocked this out in 5hrs. I was much happier with the way this chip box contained chips, however I still had a few chips on the hood and top. I am going to extend the roof back some more.
You might laugh looking at this little chipper in action, but it's performance is suprisingly GOOD. For the size of jobs I take, its looking like this will be a good set-up for my needs.:D

Here's a few pics of this job.

Latest posts

Back