pickup truck chip box ideas please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried something like your conveyer but it didnt work so well. Where did you get the belt? And how much was it? Iv e got something like your truck Im thinking of building a bolt on dump bed that bolts to a 10X 12 foot flat bed 1 ton. With cut outs for tool storage. I will have to wait for next winter to do this project to go into full effect. We stay busy here almost all year long. And when im not cuttin trees Im out plowing. I fig it should cost me around 1000 to build it including the hydrolics. Now i know you guys will tell me to just go buy a dump, but i dont want to maintain , insure and make room for another truck. I dont do this full time so Id like to keep the equip down to min. And I like the idea that when I wear out the truck, we jack up the bed and slide another truck under it. And with the bed lettered up, no need to do that to the new truck.

Dave Try this you have a full sized pickup , and I agree that it is to nice to beat up this way , but its your truck . So go to the junk yard and get a badly used old aluminum topper. This will let you put chipps in to the top of your cab. Im sure the topper will be under 100 dollars . Then get a dump att for your truck most of the truck and speed shopps have them or can get them, this will be under 1000 dollars. andthey will liftas muchas your truck will carry. Then you will not have to unload sucha large amount of chipps and it will only take a few minutes to unload . The other idea as long as Iam spending all of your money is just get a goose neck dumping trailer with a grain type top.,then you canstill dump haul everything, including your new bobcat and your chipper to. It is so much fun to spend other guys money , the dump trailer can be used for many things and Could be less than another truck and should still meet your dot standards................Just a thought Dave1

A bigger truck pays off no matter what.

Even if you're only doing trees part time, with a 1-ton you can make some $$ on the side hauling what others can't in their liddle twucks.

Made $100 for 20 minutes worth of driving; guy needed a trailer (18,000# escavator trailer) picked up from where he bought it and brought to his house.

I'll jump in here and defend the non-dump pick-up start up...

I got started with a 3/4 ton chev diesel 4x4, built a box on top and used the load hauler seen earlier worked great to get started, cheap and if you bring the tarp up the front of the box it will pull all the chips out except a bit in front of the wheel wells...

3-4 people can have the box off in about ten (boss) minutes. (25 real ones)

Now we have the Hino/hiab/dump set up (sweet truck) but I still have the original truck box and load haluer (new truck), and we use it when the Hino wont get through the deep mud... or won't fit through a back yard we can get the pick-up into,

Yukon and I had this discussion when he was getting set up. Sometimes getting the truck and chipper to the back yard can save you far more then the time it takes to unload the truck.

Schpiffeee, Holmes

Sometimes getting the truck and chipper to the back yard can save you far more then the time it takes to unload the truck.
It's a very big advantage when you can back right into your mess with the chipper. A pickup truck with 4 wheel drive can snake in a LOT of places a bigger truck wouldn't.

I see Follett, that you have a 6" capacity chipper. Light, swift, economical rig. I too think it's spiffy.
A bigger truck pays off no matter what.
It really all depends on the arborist, their having a place to store large trucks, and having a large chipper to fill the bigger truck.

I, at times, wish I had a bigger rig. But for the average two/three man jobsite, a pickup truck system can provide a really complete and effective approach. It all depends on the arborist, and what kind of trees he's into. -TM-

Small trucks rock

As a one man band I agree with the smaller truck choice. I live in a city that in places is so steep I have seen a 4wd landcruiser in low 4 not be able to drag a small 9 inch chipper up a road. I use my low 4 daily. we are also lucky to have roads so narrow that at times there is barely enough room for a car to move down and turn around and park. Big trucks and chippers in such places are complete liability (and you better be ???? hot at backing)

Driveways can be killers and the extra metres you can get into a job is money saved in dragging, drag marks through gardens and time in clean up. Nothing quite like having to do an extra half hour of trimming after the 6 tonne truck has torn half the trees up the driveway.

Our vehicles reflect our work environment, clients, budgets and personal preferances. They work for US.

Big auditorium applause for YOU, McPherson. The last two sentences nail the doggie on the noodle!

I'm not trying to be a proponent of small vs big. I've worked both. I see a lot of big companies making a LOT more money than me, but I'm not sure the boss' takehome pay is any greater. Money aside, it boils down to...... well, what Timber said !

Clearly, there are a lot of newbies entering our industry. We want them to climb safe, be profitable, and do exceptional tree care. A lot of ground guys knowing they could be arborists, but not having the financial resources to 'do it like their boss' company'.

A guy's gotta start somewhere. My view is if you were able to step out with a solid, well-organized and professional-looking small rig, without having to go through years of piecemealing something together, you can start your income today. Continue your education at AS University, department of Treeguy Group Therapy, and jumpstart your career as a fellow professional.

I spent years, as many do, evolving a good working system. If I can show a guy a few things to save him the toil and effort of stumbling through the first few years, then I have contributed well to our up-and-coming guys, and mebbe the industry as a whole. That's what we do here. -TM-

I've got a short vacation coming up .....see ya

Hey guys, I've gotta step out for a week. I'm going up to see my 90yr old Grandfather. He's getting low on firewood, and it's steelhead season. Gots to do a little fishin.

I'll be back around April 12th. Let's hear of some more truck systems. -TM-

to really get thru a job a 6-8 tonne 4wd truck and a 12 inch 100hp chipper the less time your at the job the better

the ONLY good things a big truck brings is more chips in back and being safe enough to pull over a decent tree,bigger towing capacity to much dragging for my liking, different doing line work

Well after much thought and reading all the good ideas posted, I have just about completed my portable pickup truck chip box.
Materials used were 2x4's, 1/2'' ply wood, door hinges with removable pins, oil base enamel paint '' international harvester white''.
This set up can be installed or removed in 5 min.
3' tall x 5' long. Door hinges hold the front wall in place. I added a flip down window that opens from inside the truck by reaching through the slider window. I have not yet determined how I want to fasten the roof so it removes easy, I'm still thinking about it. I may use hinges for this also.
I spent about $110 so far and about 12 hrs of time. It will be going to a friend who is an artist to paint a tree and some info on the sides next. He has some tree work, so we will do some bartering.
I hope this thing contains chips better than the first contraption I tried.
For me, this setup should be perfect as I only do this work part time as work comes in.
Here are some pics, lets here your thoughts.:alien:

David, that is a clean looking set-up. You have to dig the chips out around the 5th wheel hookup? Or do you lay a tarp over it?

Judging from the size of your chipper, I sorta assume you don't do a lot of TDs. The size of your bed affirms this. I gotta tell ya, I've never seen such a small operation before... perhaps you fill a niche market? Cool. That would never fly with the critters I do business with... that bed would be filled REAL quick.

ASAP, you need to get you a nice 'lil 9" Brush Bandit, and a one ton dump truck. Let this project be what holds you over for the time being.

Forgive me if I'm sounding smarta$$, I'm not meaning to.

Nice workmanship David. I have a question (not intended as criticism) Why didn't you extend the side panels all the way to the back of the bed?:angel:

Thank you, the 5th hitch removes simply by pulling 4 pins. Takes about 3 min. It is not left in the truck when I am working trees.
And yes I am a small time operation, 1 to 3 people sometimes. Do not do BIG take downs. seams like most of my work is raising, removeing hangers, deadwooding. I am slowly reaching the goals I have set, having a chipper set-up was one of them. It will be getting a fresh coat of paint when the summer heat starts cookin. I painted 1 side of the deflector chute red and 1 side orange. I'm leaning towards orange.

''Tree machines'' idea of chiping onto a tarp in layers I think will make unloading easier. I'll try it.:cool:

Back