Picky picky...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
*sigh*

I have about 3/4 of a cord on the deck right now...and I have a problem.

It's a real nice diversity of sizes, some split, some small rounds, some barely-able-to-one-hand rounds that are good for all-nighters / all-dayers, some tiny stuff nice for starting fires.

So when I go out to grab a log or two to throw on the fire, I stand there for a couple minutes trying to decide just which log is the best one for my current situation, without using one that might be best left for another fire on another day :)

OCD meets wood burning. :dizzy:

And it's just gonna get worse since I'm hoping to bring in another 1/2 cord on Sunday.

I hear ya brother! I just went down and started the fire for the night.

Tonight's menu: 2 12" pine cookies to get things going.
A couple small 3-4" popple sticks, because they were there
2-3 splits of cherry
A couple maple splits, for sweetness
And no reason not to throw a couple chunks of red oak on top.

The day will come before long when the menu gets real short: Oak and Ironwood are THE answer to -30° outside.

Don't feel bad I have a tub and a cart I bring wood in on. I like to arrange the tub with a little bit of everything.Then on my cart arrange in order of what I think I'll use in that order. The other night I even ask my wife (wanna look at the wood pile?) For some reason she said no:dizzy: must be a girl thing.

1.We admitted we were powerless over our firewood.

2.Came to believe that a wood splitter greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3.Made a decision to turn our woodstove and our wood pile over to the care of a higher power.

4.Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of each piece of wood.

Etc.

OCD meets wood burning. :dizzy:

When I piled firewood for our business I was a neatnick beyond belief. My dad was a firewood piling hack. His piles rarely stood up for more than a month or two. Mine you could bump into with a truck or snowplow and they would still stand. When we worked together piling wood it drove him nuts. For the ends of the pile I would stop and look for the right pieces to make the criss cross ends that were needed to support the piles, and we had them every 8 feet, one for each cord end. It would take me 5-10 seconds of searching to find the piece I needed, but in a commercial operation like our's that was a lifetime to my dad. My dad would pick on me saying "do you need another 10 cord load to sort through to find the right piece?" :)

Ive totally been picking through the pile trying to find the right pieces to bring in. Although, since my stuff ranges from ironwood to punky crap, i'm trying to save the good stuff for the real cold. We've only gotten into the upper 20's so far, no need to burn the good wood yet....

I have an OWB so you'd think I would just toss anything I can get my hands on into the thing, but NO. I usually stand there in front of the woodshed (unless the weather's crap) and carefully select what I want to put in the OWB. Usually it's a mix of large and small, punky and solid, and I try to make the stack inside the firebox as neat as the one in the woodshed. It's somewhat pathetic, actually. My wife has caught me standing there staring at the woodpile without actually picking anything up. I also try to save the "best stuff" for loading up prior to a cold night or bad weather, so I can let it burn longer. I even plan ahead sometimes. If I have a big stump or other oversize piece, I'll plan to let the coals burn down for an extra half day so I can fit it in the stove.

I consider it my meditation for each day.

When I piled firewood for our business I was a neatnick beyond belief. My dad was a firewood piling hack. His piles rarely stood up for more than a month or two. Mine you could bump into with a truck or snowplow and they would still stand. When we worked together piling wood it drove him nuts. For the ends of the pile I would stop and look for the right pieces to make the criss cross ends that were needed to support the piles, and we had them every 8 feet, one for each cord end. It would take me 5-10 seconds of searching to find the piece I needed, but in a commercial operation like our's that was a lifetime to my dad. My dad would pick on me saying "do you need another 10 cord load to sort through to find the right piece?" :)

I have my piles supported on the ends by either Racks or unsplit rounds. I still find myself looking for the best fit for the piece I am holding. Have to keep telling myself "This is not for the ages, it won't fall down, just pile it!".

Harry K

I have two separate stacks in the house, too. One is nice, straight splits for overnight, and the other, not so straight, sometimes pithy, stack (in a wood box) for the daytime/ new fires.

1.We admitted we were powerless over our firewood.

2.Came to believe that a wood splitter greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3.Made a decision to turn our woodstove and our wood pile over to the care of a higher power.

4.Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of each piece of wood.

Etc.

I'll drink to that.:cheers:

Back