Pics and a question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
Well I was excited today to fire up my saws again!! They've been sitting for a few months while my girl and I moved from Washington to the house we bought in Michigan. Figured I'd cut down some of the standing dead and storm damage from our property for some heat and thought I'd share a few pics.

My woefully oversized PNW bar on the 046 for this cute little wood :D ANd that's my short bar... Guess I gotta get a 20 now that I'm in the midwest. :jester:

066.jpg

069.jpg

And my ugly mug...

068.jpg

Now for my question. I came across this situation and am wondering about the best way to resolve it. There is one badly damaged tree that has fallen such that one part of it's Y has fallen into the Y of another fairly healthy tree and gotten hung up.

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

Should I very carefully take the good tree down to get that dangerous one on the ground? Or maybe get the damaged tree's Y cut apart so I can winch the hung up section safely out? Anyone have thoughts?

Also, I've noticed a number of trees on the property have grown at very odd angles. At first I thought there was a lot of storm damage but a closer look has revealed that many just naturally grew sideways or diagonal and are not necessarily damaged at all. Should I be concerned with these trees as far as safety goes? Or just leave them as nature has allowed them to grow?

073.jpg

Thanks!!

I'd domino cut them, from the picture the good tree doesn't look to be anything special. I'd fell the bad tree into the good tree and take them both down at once, after you put a good sized cut into the good one first. Or just cut the bad one and if it hangs up either get a comealong, tractor or jeep!and winch/pull it to the ground or cut 6'-8' lengths off until downed. Thats how I've done some in the past thats been trouble some. I wouldn't worry to much about the lean angles it's midwest thing, haha. I believe it's pretty sandy up and around Allegan if the snow loads and the wind haven't taken it down yet....:greenchainsaw: Good luck

Looks like you've got some work to do to thin some of that out to give the good trees a real chance to grow. The leaning is from the tall canopy and the little under growth growing towards the sunlight in the summer. At least that's what I've been told.

Man, that saw is going to scream with a 20" on it if your used to that bar. Especially if your dealing with those little trees all the time. Sometimes those are the best. Cut the trunk up in about 1/2 hour and you don't even have to strain yourself throwing it in the truck.

Definitely different than the rounds I'm used to loading :dizzy: I figure an 8 pin sprocket and a 20 and I'll be loving life :D

I need to read up on proper thinning and how much room I should leave for good trees to grow. I also don't want to over log my property since it's only 6 acres or so. Figure I'll be on the lookout for wood opportunities and contacting the local road crews and such to "dispose" of the wood they have to clear. :chainsaw:

Yep 8 pin and 20" is perfect and all you'll need. Looks like you've got some good candidates for firewood there. I agree with Gink about the hangup. Take that tree with the big catface too, you want to get any diseased stuff out. Anything healthy leave it be unless you need it. There are some crazy leans:clap: :greenchainsaw: Have fun and take care.

Definitely different than the rounds I'm used to loading :dizzy: I figure an 8 pin sprocket and a 20 and I'll be loving life :D

I need to read up on proper thinning and how much room I should leave for good trees to grow. I also don't want to over log my property since it's only 6 acres or so. Figure I'll be on the lookout for wood opportunities and contacting the local road crews and such to "dispose" of the wood they have to clear. :chainsaw:

I read once on a formula for thinning trees:Take the two trees avg. diameter add together than add 6' and that will equal the distance needed between them. (in feet)

Latest posts

Back