Pics of Fridays job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oxman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As the digital world envelops us, there is more & more access to uploadable images. Imagine how many digital cameras & camcorders will be sold this Xmas season. Let's not allow these electronic toys to sit on the shelf like that ice cream freezer.

Here's a couple shots from Fridays Douglas fir takedown. Of course, there was an asphalt slab right underneath. I had to use a shot as an avatar.

I'm sure that observant tree folks will notice the neanderthal (no block) lowering technique. Just carve a nice u-shaped lowering notch with the 020 (and later, the 046) to run the bull line thru, and voila! I knowwhat you're thinking. Lemme have it!

This is the before pic, showing the site. Sorry about it being so boring. The dropzone is right behind the trash can. All limbs, wood, spit :), etc. had to be lowered out of this tree. Everything flew right over the top of the Rhodie & Holly hedge. The very first limb did bust a tip out of the holly stem on the left. You know how that first lower calibrates the rigging?

The avatar shot. BTW these pictures are scalable. That is, they shrink or expand to the size of your browser window. So, maximize.

The next chunk. By this time, we had switched over to the 3/4" Arborplex. Carving the wider notch to accomodate the larger diameter line with a 28" bar means extending the flipline out a bit.
The notch was scorching a bit, and the line was streaking some. It wasn't my line:D Chip, the ground guy, who I had never met before, ran it out real nice, minimizing the shock loading every time. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

The 2 ring friction saver can be seen hanging from the saddle in this pic. It was used earlier on this removal to keep the spliced eye climbing line from getting all sappy during the limb lowering.

Last edited:
I gotta hand it to ya, Ox. Even after all these years, I still get the willies roping a spar off itself when I'm attached to it with no place to go. I have no problem with brushing it out, but roping down wood chunks 2" away from my tie-in is something I try to avoid.The multiple trunk trees are much easier since I can work them off each other and position myself farther away.

Good job there! Interesting trick notching the trunk for a false crotch instead of using block & tackle. I'd hate to use it with MY rope!

Last decent shot. These were taken with a non-zoom 2.1 megapixel Toshiba M 4 camera at 1600X1200 (max) resolution. Each shot was about 900k before cropping and editing.

When upgrading to a larger saw after running out of gas & bar length with the 020, & changing out from 1/2" to 3/4" lowering lines, it is important to not lose the continuity of each lowering operation. The consistency from cut to cut is very important to maintain concentration.

An impeturbable state of mind similar to a Karate master 'thinking through' a stack of bricks must prevent any distractions from modifying the technique from cut to cut. This includes 'walkers' coming on the jobsite, thrown chains, water resupply, changing wrap anchors, interludes of chipping, or personnel handling the rope switching off, to name a few. When offered options or refinements after a pattern of lowering has commenced or become established, my reply is "Lets just keep going the way we are".

The lowering notch for the previous piece can be seen at the very bottom (top tipped upside down) of the log shown in that last pic. I like to make 'em deep, angled downwards, just in case that line wants to jump out and run across my flipline. Y'know what I mean? We don't want that! If it did happen, would the hole man let the line run (the work smashing everything underneath) to get it off of the climber immediately?

We estimate about 450# chunks with the later 5' lengths, @ 80-100# per foot. This next pic shows the line is wrapped a full wrap around the trunk, then it runs over to a half wrap around an (unprotected!) cedar stem 40' to the left. I didn't check it's bark later, but it had been used for wraps in the lowering operation of another adjacent removal by this crew some time earlier. SOP is as SOP does. The butt of the piece gets temporarily hooked on the tail of the lowering line, but it popped loose without a hitch.

After the lowering notch, facecut, and backcut mark are put in, the piece is lasso-ed up. A half hitch goes into the notch. I then use another half hitch above the face to back up a running bowline, as high as I can reach. Really lean on those 3 bights to take some of the stretch out of the line.

Prior to each cut, the flipline is disconnected, then moved upward, above the bight of the lowering line. This moment of being unhooked, even with a backup, is the worst part. Maybe it's because the deliberate pause to recheck the rigging gives an opportunity to consider the enormous amount of weight that is about to be released, then caught by the rope.

This places the flipline just below the floor of the face in front. Behind the cut, the flipline is just below the back cut, but running at an angle across the lowering notch. Definitely don't want the flipline to get sucked into the lowering notch under the lowering line. It is a 1/2" steel core Hi-Vee line running thru a Microcender. Stay still when the action starts to maintain the relationship of the rim of the stub above the flipline, to keep it from jumping up over the edge.

Brian's 2" measurement is just about right. It can be dicey, but running the rope for all of the brush gets the operation calibrated, so a generous tolerance like this is comfortable, right? The climbing line is right down below my feet (per ANSI), so a pinch rather than a fall is about the worst that could happen. Thanks for jumping in here in the middle of this online composed and photo-edited recounting of an ordinary day in the life of an arborist.

This whole operation was a scaled-down version of the Buttcatch mpeg video over on the ISA board.

That time we had a block & lowering device (port-a-wrap), but not the crew with the wherewithal to let 'em run. This caused a whole lotta shakin goin on. There are pros & cons to each technique. The block increases the fall distance of the work before being caught by the line, and the sheave diameter lessens the bend radius substantially over running it over itself on a bight. Take yer pick.

There is a real tendency to rush thru the descriptions of this sequence of pics. The difference between standing on the ground looking up thru a poor digital zoom perch, and being strapped to the piece you are lowering off of is a question of the field of view. Examining this cylinder from 3 feet away while it is being dismantled by the kerf of a 3/8" pitch disintegrator raygun held in your own hands has a distinct advantage over the earthbound observation platform.

As the piece gets pushed off the top, tips and begins its fall, it seems like a slow-motion dream. The calm before the storm. The quiet before the jerk. Because the peace has to end when the log slams into the rope. Shaking you out of your spurs. Or, worse, snagging the flipline as it falls and squashing your guts out against the stub of the top corner of the face.

Kinda like the end of a bad dream, when your psyche knows the exact moment when it's time to wake up; right before it gets too scary--when the nightmare gets too hairy.

But this ground crew let the rope run. Everything went just perfect. Chip had his act together, slowing the pieces down real nice. No jerk at all. A nice smooth ride. THANK YOU !

Last edited:
Wow ManOx!

i think mention should be made of how long you have been doing this, how easy it would be to catch your forearm or loose clothing in that racing ring of line tracing around the spar to you. Let alone the heat buildup from all the high friction wood contact on line (especially running), then immediately following with line on line contact (another thermal insulator on thermal insulator at point of friction). i am certain that you can scope it out easier more exacting than most of us(self included, especially with such sizes of loads), let alone one with less than 5 years in the saddle! The up side of all this, is that it puts less load on the spar, as the load in the control leg is reduced by friction; whereby otherwise in a pulley at top the control leg would have to match teh load force leg, thereby doubling that force on the spar.

i know what you mean about distractions ( i don't like certain colors on the ground that keep my eye distracted thinking it is a person), changing co-captions (man on control part of rig), and especially about the first load being to test and set the rig and personell.

i'll air on the conservative side with my lil'buddy JP, for this is outta my league!

Cool pics Oxman, you not only have a good groundie, but it looks like you have a pretty good photographer also. I'm with Mike, how long does a Bull rope last you?

Palmer

Hey Oxman,Nice photos!I don't have the high life experience that many on this site have.I also lack the go nads to have the bull rope routed between my tie ins,especially at that altitude and lowering big boys like those.I'm glad the job went well.Again, great pics,hope to see more soon.MIKEY

Knowing Mike as long as I have, I doubt he would do something like that with his own rope:D ;)

BTW I've known him for around four years, just meat him last summer. Internet is great an'it?

Sounds like you have a great gound guy, who could really be good with a porta wrap. With the PW the "calibration" time is reduced, becasue at least at that end of the rope you have a constant that you can work with.
-Why no block?
-What did the Bull rope look like after the job?
-How many times had that rope been used just like that prior to you picking it up.
-Were you working under your own insurance coverage.

I do understand "when in Rome, do as the Romans.." but man that looks like a risky job. Without a steel core flip line I'd be puckering with every chunk. I think I would have sent someone home for the block and PW before I started that.
Greg

That's why I have all my own rigging gear.

He's farming his skills out and when you do that you end up meeting some interesting people.

I liked the part where he said the wood in the false crotch got singed :eek:

Bringing your own rigging gear

I'm bringing my own rigging gear too. I guess I'm lucky to have found a client or two who are really interested in learning to work with pulleys and blocks for rigging. We took a 5" lead from over a pool screen today using a 3/1 reduction on the lowering line. One groundman actually picked the limb up straight back to the false crotch. They were real impressed (as was I) at how easy it was to pick that limb up away from the screen.

Bringing your own rigging gear is great, if the ground crew doesn't destroy it. Some clients I climb for I'd just as soon use their ropes so they don't trash mine.

The ground crew makes all the difference. Did a 36" dbh 3 stem pine on thurs. with nearly no landing zone. I couldn't let anything drop. A foot away from the house on one side. and six feet from the fence on the other with dogwoods, oaks, and a fence underneath it. Set up a DWT as high as I could in the main stem and used it and a tagline to direct the pieces (small) into the yard. The two folks running the lines didn't have a clue so I did alot of work that normally wouldn't be needed to get the job done. I was in that tree like 4.5 hrs coaching them the whole time.

Contrast this to the tulip I did on friday, 35"dbh, was only about 55' tall as the top had broken out last year. Small Japanese maples and hostas planted underneath, no wood dropped. Lowered all of the limbs and two 6' chunks (so that it would clear the driveway when I dropped the stick) in just under an hour. My friend running the lines had never even seen a PW but I coached him through it and he ran those two 6' chunks as smoothly as anyone I've ever seen.

Re: Bringing your own rigging gear

Originally posted by treeclimber165
I'm bringing my own rigging gear too. I guess I'm lucky to have found a client or two who are really interested in learning to work with pulleys and blocks for rigging.....

Brian,

I would say you are lucky. The guy I climb for most of the time does not seem interested in “advanced” techniques. It gets frustrating knowing that there are easier and safer ways to get the job done but have to do it the hard way just because the guy doesn’t know any better. :rolleyes:

Someone else is "bringing my own rigging gear". I went to get a block out of the truck and it wasn't there! Turned out that I'm missing one CMI block and a figure 8. I guess I got off light but I'm still torqued. I believe that stealing someone's tools should be a capitol offense. The method of administering the death penalty is open for discussion. "Hung by the genitals until dead" sounds reasonable.:angry:

blocks&pulleys

CMI's stuff is shiney stainless steel and it gets picked off first. I like it because they can costom make pieces to do what you want them to do. Stainlessproducts.com will make or find pieces that will handle wire rope and rope if you want extra heavy duty blocks and pulleys. Are you using the ones with roller bearings or bushings? Bushings spread the load out and the bearings don't but they role faster. I used to use Crosby's for years, now those are the ones I lone out and they usually come back busted from oops, a tree fell on it. $5 at the flea market for used Crosby's but you have to take them apart to check them to see if they are still in good working order, they role slower than the CMI stuff but that is by design.
How often do you take apart your CMI pulleys to check for wear? Do you use the petzel stuff? Do you like the aluminium frames?

Latest posts

Back