Pics of my outfit.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvy048

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Fellas!
I love seeing what you guys are using...keep those pics coming in!
I just couldn't resist showing off my labor of love. It is a Mobile Dimension (3-blade) mill on a homemade framework. I added the gooseneck hitch, the hydraulic log loader, and working on a log turner/positioner.

It's not real handy in the tight places for sure!

Thank you very much!...I am kinda proud of it. My max capacity is 24' long by 5' diameter.
As I get older and lazier I find it's easier to bring the logs to the mill instead of the other way around. To solve this problem I made a "log getter" to use where hauling them on the forks of my tractor is too much. I'm sure someone has made something like this before, but the idea was new to me. I used a warn 8000# winch for lifting both ends of the log on a common line. Just back the "getter" over the log and load up. Usually just takes a few minutes to be on the road. The main line runs along the top of the backbone to the rear, down thru a hole thru the rear lifting shiv, back up over a fixed shiv running forward over another fixed shiv, then down and around the front lifting shiv, and then anchored to the backbone. Naturally the lightest end of the log lifts first, but it all gets there in the end! This sounds confusing, I'll attach a pic or two.

It's a "modified" VW engine...not sure what all they do to them. I do know they won't work in a car. Shortly before I bought this mill, some kids stole the motor to put in their car....it wouldn't fit. Seems the holes aren't there that lets you bolt it up to the tranny. The factory caught them when they tried to sell it. But, before they were caught, the insurance paid off and I got a brand new engine in the deal.

I cut for shares, so most of it goes out about as fast as I cut it. The rest is being used to build storage buildings. It's been too soft (the ground) to move logs to the mill for the last month, unless we can catch a freeze. Then we concentrate on bringing in the logs we have down and bucked. When they are all in, we will start making sawdust. By we, I mean my partner. He has a bandmill and the smaller logs go there. I'll attach a few pics of the logs that are soon to be boards. Mostly ponderosa pine. The stuff with no bark is going to show a lot of blue coloring. It works well for furniture, and inside wall covering.

The engine is a VW. I'll show ya a pic of a cabinet I built for the bathroom sink just to show how pretty some of this stuff is.

That is good, ship to shore all in one thread. Good show. VW's were my thing when I was a kid. Love to see it. Must make some nice noise.

Thanks guys!
This is such a great site!!!!....glad I could contribute even if in a small way!
Jack

PS...I'll post pics when I start making boards.

The main blade is about 30", the edgers are about 12". The biggest board I can cut in a single pass is a 4 by 12. But by turning the log it is possible to get about any size you want. The work starts when it pushes those heavy buggers back in your lap.
Jack

Latest posts

Back