Pics of wood box for skid steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the wood box I built for the front of my skid steer. I had some extra pipe laying around. I also used a Cattle panel that was coming apart on one end. The only piece that wasn't just laying around was the attachment plate. I bought that off e-bay. It work great. It hold just over a rank of wood (1/3 cord) I use it to load the truck also. It really saves the back.

Scott

Measurement ?

What is themeasurment of your box ? I was just wondering if you made it
4 ft h x 4 ft w x 4 ft l ,wouuld that be a half cord ?

It's around 68 inches wide by 36 inches tall. I stack 2 rows in it. So I get a little over 32 face square feet. It seems to work really well. I like it because I can set the box waist high while I'm using the splitter. I don't have to bend over to pick the big ones up. They are already there.

Scott

That sure looks pretty handy, good job !!! I guess its suppose to warm up this weekend, back in the 40s.

Ya I am going to try and get 5 cord out of the woods tomorrow. After that 'll have to put the tracks on if it gets warm. Tires should be good enough for tomorrow.

Scott

I split them today. Everything on the truck got split. I parked the truck there and udhooked the box so I ould park the skidsteer in the garage. I wanted to make sure it would start nice and easy. It doesn't have a block heater. I split that stuff today and hauled 2 more loads in.

Scott

Scott if I had that equipment you have , I would split it , throw it in that nice box , and let the skid steer dump it in the truck and the truck dump it in your wood pile .

I am working on getting a set up like yours . Nice !

At one of my wood locations they have a little new holland TC25 with a loader that I am allowed to use to load my wood. I found that it is easier to just dump the wood on the trailer than to try to stack it neatly. Also cuts down on number of times the wood is handled before it gets turned to heat.

that has got to be the stupidist thing I have seen in a long time.

No, wait. Stupider was the mini van stuck on the snowmobile trail after a cold spell.

why not just build a big bucket and scoop the wood up off hte ground??? why bother to stack it at all???

why not just use the dirt bucket to pick pu the wood??????

No, wait. Stupider was the mini van stuck on the snowmobile trail after a cold spell.

why not just build a big bucket and scoop the wood up off hte ground??? why bother to stack it at all???

Load it up with split wood and drop it at the front door. Come back later when it is empty with the skid steer and reload. Then you are not tying up your dirt bucket that you could be using elsewhere in the meantime. If the only expense was the plate for the skid steer is is not a bad attachment to have.

We have a like box for the Backhoe, we can get alot more in when stacking, then just dump at the pile. When we use the large loader bucket to pickup loose wood, it seems like we get to much dirt, etc. in with the wood, just to messy.

woodstack_400.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the input. I use this because it's easy. You can toss stack wood into it real easy. I only stack the back row on the truck to keep pressure off the gates. Otherwise it's hard to get the gates off. I don't haul the splitter to sight because it takes to long to get the wood out. Where I was cutting they had a dozer push some trees down. So I didn;t have a lot of time to work the wood up there. The truck is a dump. I'll back it up to the splitter and tilt the bed. I have a board I put across the back of the truck to keep the wood in the bed. It all slides right back. I never have to get in the truck.

It would have used a lot more metal to make a big scoop. Plus I don't want all that dirt jammed into the wood. I sell everything I cut. I sell really clean firewood. I was using the dirt bucket. The sides aren't very high. Skid steers ride very rough. It you had very much on the bucket and hit a big bump you would loose some off the sides. This box keeps all the wood in no matter what you hit. I can tilt it back and just toss wood in it also.

Scott

Great idea.... I have been thinking about that sort of thing to pack wood into to store it. Would make it handy to move to the house or to shuffle in a small shed to rotate stock from year to year. I was thinking I would try 4x4x4 in size and make them so they could be moved with a pallet fork....

Not

Thats pretty much what I use and have tried to post a pic of,.....puter dummy here I guess, cant get em to load,.. I dont have a desigenated box tho, mine are the cheap racks that I move with a skidder/ skidsteer.. or fork lift,.I am makin em cheap so I can leave the wood in them while it cures,..Thats 1 of the BEST Ideas Ive seen here, Thanks for posting,.....E,J,

Thanks STL

Here is a picture of the wood box I built for the front of my skid steer. I had some extra pipe laying around. I also used a Cattle panel that was coming apart on one end. The only piece that wasn't just laying around was the attachment plate. I bought that off e-bay. It work great. It hold just over a rank of wood (1/3 cord) I use it to load the truck also. It really saves the back.

Scott

I like the way u think,.

Sweet

STL,..............nice rack!!! hahahaha, get it, nice rack??? ok sorry, it had to be said....Seriously though, how does your rack body work hauling firewood opposed to a regular dump truck bed? I am getting my hands on an 86 f350 diesel dump, but I was thinking of putting a bed on it like the one you have. Are the sides strong enough, did you beef it up at all? does the load dump out easy, or does it get hung up at all??
Thanks,:cheers:
Weave

Latest posts

Back