Pics of wood box for skid steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STL,..............nice rack!!! hahahaha, get it, nice rack??? ok sorry, it had to be said....Seriously though, how does your rack body work hauling firewood opposed to a regular dump truck bed? I am getting my hands on an 86 f350 diesel dump, but I was thinking of putting a bed on it like the one you have. Are the sides strong enough, did you beef it up at all? does the load dump out easy, or does it get hung up at all??
Thanks,:cheers:
Weave

I like the rack body a lot. It holds up well they are getting a little bent here and there but nothing to bad. I wish the slats were closer together on the stakes. wood can fall out between them sometimes.I have had the truck for 3 years and probably moved 300-400 cords with it. I dump into it with the skid steer so they take some pretty good hits. I was concerned because they cut a couple of the cross braces under the floor to make it work as a dump. I installed a new floor made from rough cut oak 2x10s. I figured that would help out the stability. I like having the rack because I can take them off and have a regular flatbed. I also welded up a 5ft tall enclosed box for the bed. I use it as a chip truck when I do tree removal. I can install the bed in 10min. It really works great.

Thats a little more wood than I can get in my backhoe bucket, and I always stack it in my bucket. The more you get in a bucket the fewer trips you have to make, and it takes maybe a minute more to stack it

I'll try and send you some. I'll have to take them. I used 4inch angle for the bottom(part that sits on the bed. I welded 1inch angle in the front corners. I used 1 inch box for the side supports and roof supports. I made a frame then skinned it in 16gauge sheet. I got a really good deal on the sheet. I bought it off craigslist. I also got a good deal on the 1inch angle and the 1inch box. I had the 4inch angle. I have about $550-600 in the box. It's not pretty but it works great and fits my needs. I welded 3inch pieces of small round pipe onto the side of my flatbed. It's 1/2inch id stock. I also welded the same right above onto the box. I slide the bed on and stick 4 pins(made of re-bar(I had it sitting around)in each side. They hold without a problem even when dumping. It's kind of heavy but it does the trick. I had one made of plywood before it was a pain to take off and put back on. Also my chipper would blow a hole in he plywood if I didn't have tin in the front.

Scott

Latest posts

Back