Pic's of your team/climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey 16,

Since the validity of the advice to wear eye protection has been proven have you considered taking any of the other advice? How many different ways can so many people give the same advice?

saying that you know more about treework than any other 16 year old within 100 miles means very little. A buddy of mine started climbing when he was twelve and running a pruning crew when he was fifteen. Couldn't drive but he could wield a saw and rope. His Dad ran the company and he'd been around the business for many years. He's the youngest climber in my generation.

Are you interested in starting a poll? Ask the advice-givers [just the ones who have responded in this thread] how many know first hand of a death in the industry. Then ask about second hand knowledge of death. Then ask about injuries that made invalids of treeworkers. do you think that the advisors are just flaming you? If you do, you'll be lucky to make it to voting age. That would be terrible. Go down to Walgreens and ask for a prescription of humility pills.

Tom

Originally posted by treeman82
As far as PPE goes, when I was your age I didn't wear PPE either. However a good friend of mine beat some sense into me and now I wear that stuff almost religiously, if I am climbing and don't have my helmet on I feel naked.
Ha! I missed that comment. :D Love ya brotha! I was just looking at those pics from days of yore...

Re: nonsence

Originally posted by 056 kid
I dont wear a uniform or a hard hat. I dont use any safty ropes either. All I have ever climbed with are spikes,a saddle, and a safty belt. I have NEVER fallen. And i have jobs lined three months ahead of me, so can u leave us red-neck climbers(florida16/me...) alone please.

I like the subject at the top of this thread.....nonsense for sure.

I have heard every excuse in the book over my adult working life for not wearing PPE -doesn't fit, too cold, too hot, not cool blah blah blah, but your justification of never having fallen takes the cake. I wear it all- safety boots, cutter pants, hard hat, visor, muffs, glasses and gloves, and on more than one occasion I was glad I was. And yes on some summer days it is a PITA. Every other professional I ever have worked with has as well.

I have a personal rule about working with people like you, I WILL NOT. Obviously if you take so little care with yourself what would make me think you would give a hoot about my safety (NOTE That is with an "E"). It comes down to a question of pride-I despise working with the second rate.

Last edited:
Re: Re: nonsence

Did ya get all that Chad?
Here it is again..Read it twice..
Derek, big hugger!

Originally posted by Jumper

I have heard very excuse in the book over my adult working life for not wearing PPE -doesn't fit, too cold, too hot, not cool blah blah blah, but your justification of never having fallen takes the cake. I wear it all- safety boots, cutter pants, hard hat, visor, muffs, glasses and gloves, and on more than one occasion I was glad I was. And yes on some summer days it is a PITA. Every other professional I ever have worked with has as well.

I have a personal rule about working with people like you, I WILL NOT. Obviously if you take so little care with yourself what would make me think you would give a hoot about my safety (NOTE That is with an "E"). It comes down to a question of pride-I despise working with the second rate.

:D

arr heres the good part

I have heard very excuse in the book over my adult working life for not wearing PPE -doesn't fit, too cold, too hot, not cool blah blah blah, but your justification of never having fallen takes the cake. I wear it all- safety boots, cutter pants, hard hat, visor, muffs, glasses and gloves, and on more than one occasion I was glad I was. And yes on some summer days it is a PITA. Every other professional I ever have worked with has as well.

Originally posted by Florida16
If you all don't want me here I will leave. Like I said I am only here to learn and try to expand my climbing abilities/knowledge as far as I can...

Just take the advice on the PPE. I am a hack, I guess, because I wear shorts everywhere and for just about everything but i am not operating saws all day, either, rather, I instruct my guys what to do when I have a need for saw work. I have to argue constantly with daily help and indepents about PPE. $10/hr. or $100/hr isn't worth your eyesight, cracked noggin, etc.
When I operate a chipper where I will be handling large logs or logs that can swing near my noggin, the hardhat comes on. Ear protection is used for everything and I mean EVERYTHING. Ditto on the eye protection. If it is a dark, dreary day and my protective sunglasses won't work, I have backup clear lenses. It is just part of my outfit. I have actually gone to work and left my ear protection. I made something.
I know crews that do not wear eye protection (or have the glasses on the back of their heads (what's up with that), ear protection, gloves, or any other type of protection and they work around some large, dangerous trees. They are playing a dangerous game.

It may take 10 years of accident free work before you have your first accident but the correct PPE could save your sight, hearing, or noggin (not to mention your neck if you are tied off properly).

That's the best advice I can give. The 2nd is, keep asking questions. Not everyone is grumpy around here. Read, learn, practice, and don't be afraid to admit when you are in over your head. We all learn something new every time we work. It's the nature of the biz.

Originally posted by Florida16

But I can guarantee I know more about trees/climbing than any other 16 year old in a 100 mile radius.

exactly you know a little more than could fill a postage stamp..thats why you need to start at the bottom literaly ,dragging brush plain and simple

ppe

ask yourself will it still be cool / hard when you have to say 'WHAT' after every sentance folk say to you as you can't hear them, get crap in your eyes and knacker your eyesight,

you may have never had an accident but it only takes one.....

its not the fall that gets you its the sudden stop at the bottom that kills you.

if you are a fashion victim look for some nice coloured hats and some flash glasses.... a nice set of oakleys maybe?

jamie

Hay there Chad....

I like you...I think you have some great attitudes..

I am only to willing to share some of my experencise's with you...

I will never learn all there is to cutting trees at height..Doubt any one will, every tree is different, every limb OUT TO KILL YOU!..

A thinking mans game this, cant just run up there and start cutting it down...got to be thinking 4 moves ahead of your self..

Bit like a chess game, but your life is on the line!!....

You know what would help get you on the same page??

Go and read, then re read, the thread i put up in off the topic, Tony Fisher's MAXIMS, and there explanations...

Then if you would be so kind as to comment on the thread (in that thread)

Ill (WE"LL) all know you read it, and your time here will improve conciderably..

We will get quite sick (REAL QUICK) of any more simple , basic safety rules being ignored...

Once we are all on the same page....Ask away. you will be amazed at ALL the respnces you'll get, when people think you tring.. Need more pics to...Derek..

Pic of a freindly Derek.. Take care!!..

Back