Picture of new stump grinder at work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Sbusta

So you like that Magna stumper? It looks so flimsey. How long have you owned it? How do the teeth hold up and what kind of maintenance do you have with it. I currently run 3 differnt size of stump grinders from large to small. My small one is that push behind Vermeer. I hate it and I am looking for a small machine to take its place. I guess you would highly recommend it.
What options should one get with the machine if they do purchase?

Sbusta,

That New Zealand countryside looks awesome!!!! Great action photos!!! Post some more!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Im selling my Rayco super junior and buying a alpine magnum,what stumps i cant get with the towbehind will be subbed or high priced and alpined.

Great pics sbusta,that big stump with the magnum would have been challenging.

Congratulations dozerdogue these Carlton TRX machines are awesome. I don't know why anybody buying a big machine would opt for something without a remote.

But mate thats not a stump a stump looks like this.
thats the biggest stump ive ever seen! how long did it take?

Sbusta,

In one of those photos I saw another monster stump in the background. Do you run into these size stumps on a regular basis??

Abbystump,

Great video. That remote looks like the way to go. They demo'd that SP7015TRX to me a few weeks ago. Still trying to decide between that and the SP4012 with the Kubota.

Great videos and photos. Keep them coming!!!

Sbusta,

In one of those photos I saw another monster stump in the background. Do you run into these size stumps on a regular basis??

Abbystump,

Great video. That remote looks like the way to go. They demo'd that SP7015TRX to me a few weeks ago. Still trying to decide between that and the SP4012 with the Kubota.

Great videos and photos. Keep them coming!!!

If you can afford the extra loot go with the 7015 it's a lot faster when cutting.

You are the MAN SBUSTA.I don't look at a stump over 3 foot wide.With my Carlton 2500-4 (now 27hp) I find I lose money on big stumps.(If you don't mind how much did you charge for the 9 hr monster???) As for the Alpine I bought a similar machine made in Sydney (stump-master 1 )cost $7000 with a stilth concreat cutter motor.Again when I quote with the small machine people don't wont to PAY the price which will cover the wear and tear on the small machine let alone make a profit....
P.S Love your machine..........:chainsaw:

Now i'm not calling anyone a liar ,but I have a job beleiviing an ''Alpine Magnum'' can cut a stump as fast as a 27hp walkbehind.

Will an Alpine out perform a 27hp walk behind?

I really had to consider and think about your doubt, on the stumps I would generally use the alpine on I would say yes. That is hard to get to stumps generally less than 24 inches, and stumps that I cant get a kan du or trx to you generally wouldn’t get a walk behind machine to so alpine is the only choice.

When used correctly the alpine machine literally drags its self thru the stump with very little effort just as a chainsaw drags its self thru wood, but it takes a while to get good at using it.

Due to the size and weight of this grinder moving around sites is extremely quick, you do not need ramps, you do not need to worry about tipping when working on banks you normally do not need shields (I only use shields around pools & fish ponds).

If I had 20 6-10 inch stumps spread around garden alpine will win cuts fast easy to get around less clean up I would never consider a walk behind.

If I had 3 24-inch stumps I think alpine would still win on site time.

If I had 20 24-inch stumps in a row 27hp machine would likely win.

However if I had to I would still prefer to use the alpine as it is much easier to use it would not take that much longer the cleanup would still be less and I could continue to work without feeling worn-out. But lets face it if we had a choice we would all choose a big machine over either of these for this job.

Rollacosta you said you purchased the dosko for hard to get to stumps. As I do not know your environment I cannot really know whether you have purchased the best machine for you. What I do know is your machine has massive limitations compared to the alpine when it comes to hard to get to stumps. As most of my opposition own doskos I’m getting plenty of work from several of them doing stumps they can’t get to. I appreciate your issues with the alpine dealer we have similar issues with the dosko dealer here, it wouldn’t stop me buying a piece of equipment from him should there be a great commercial advantage in it. Unfortunately for you would need an ongoing relationship for teeth. Bearings belts & teeth bolts can all be sourced elsewhere & the powered serviced by any dealer should you need it. I hope this wasn’t you main consideration in choosing a dosko.

I would never set up a stump grinding business using a single machine be it self propelled, walk behind or alpine all are good all have limitations.

If I were a small tree business I would carry an alpine on brackets attached to a chipper, grind all suitable stumps while on site & sub out anything to big. The reason I would do this is it saves taking 2 vehicles or having to return to a site.

FEED BACK CONCERNS

It amazes me on forums the negative feed back given or implied buy people whom have not owned and operated equipment. I have owned & used doskos for 17 years before getting an alpine and would never go back. Of the walk behind machines I think dosko have the edge due to their low center of gravity & weight.

One of the main criteria I used in deciding to purchase machines is if you cannot buy them used why? It is very hard to buy a used alpine, kan du or trx.

Of the machines I own the Alpine gives me the best rate of return on investment & running costs.

For you guys over in Australia do not confuse the alpine with the original stump master as similar as these machines appear the performance difference may be massive as I have not used I cannot comment.

I have to admit - I've never seen an Alpine cut. The comparison to a saw make sense. I just try to avoid as much manual labor as I can, lazy I guess - and getting old!!!

So am I thats why I would't use a walk behind to much hard work. If I could get enough work just for the TRX I wouldn't bother with anything else. But man that remotes hard on your fingers!

Sbusta

They have two different models and different attachments for stump grinding. What in your opinion is the best setup for stump grinding? (Alpine Magnum)

I'm just using the standard stump grinder set up with a stihl power-head. The husky & solo power-heads apparently cut faster due to higher RPM but have less torque. I have designed my own transportation wheel will post pics soon.

My local council uses an alpine they do cut pretty quikly,admittedly ive only seen it used on small stumps.

Back