picture of white spots on crimson king

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
John:

Here's a shot of a leaf with the white spots from the aforementioned crimson king maple. Virtually every leaf has these spots, as well as the yellowish brownish spots like the other picture I posted. Some of the leaves seem to be completely covered with white spots.

Thanks a ton.

Dan

white spots all around the city

I was driving today and began to notice these white spots on many maples around the city. One tree, in fact looked as if it had all white leaves, there were so many spots. Is this something the city should be concerned about, or is it something that will go away after fall and not return in the spring?

We've had a doosy of a hot and humid summer, with very little rain overall.

Thanks again. You guys are an incredible resource.

-Dan

Probably cottony mildew. It usually isn't too serious and can actually be washed off the leaves on small trees and shrubs (kind of hard to do on a mature tree.)

Is that a trick question Mike? It looks like spots of sunlight hitting the bark. If it isn't a joke I have to say I don't know.

Mike I still don't know but the second pic reminded me of stuff I have seen on trees down on the Gulf coast. My first trip down to Texas'Coastal Bend in winter I had trouble identifying some familiar species because the bark looked so different with all the mosses molds and mildews growing on it!

Mike,
I'm sort of serious, I don't think you have a stem disease. On thin barked trees I've seen areas the change hues. this portion of the stem may receive intense sun light.

Keep us posted if the extension service turns up any thing.

Latest posts

Back