Pictures of cylinder halves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RaisedByWolves said:
I offered to do this to a wildthingy, sans carbide.

Got no takers though.

Maybe next time offer to use high explosives.......:givebeer:

Andy

Well, my last job I worked with aluminum a lot. a band saw that is running slow say 800rpm will last a long time cutting aluminum and it doesn't have to be carbide but it makes a hell of a noise.

the other option that I recommend to dean is lubing the blade with wax. a candle stick for example although they make better wax for this purpose. also what kills the blade is the aluminum galling which is cause by heat. take a break and keep it lubed up.

Thanks a million for the pics.

cisco that piston looks shot you might as well send the whole saw to me so I can cut it in half for you.;)

Keeping the saw blade wet with WD-40 when cutting aluminum
helps keep down on the galling or loading up, when using a file on aluminum
or any other non-porous metal, use a piece of soap stone on the file,
will help from the file loading up.

The other problem with cutting aluminum is that as soon as you cut it, it instantly oxidizes on the surface of the freshly-cut aluminum...think aluminum oxide...which is what they make sandpaper out of!

Intake half
attachment.php

Exhaust half

attachment.php

3120xp crack was in there when pulled apart and fell apart as we cut it..

Last edited:
Exhaust half cylinder , intake side of piston
attachment.php

Intake half of cylinder, exhaust side of piston
attachment.php

The piston is facing the way it would be in the engine as if the cylinder was whole..

Last edited:
Nice pic ultra. Any idea what caused the crack?

Which one of your saws was that off of? Never seen a crack quite like that before, and I've seen some real messed up saws.....

Come to think of it, were the cylinder bolts tight? I've seen a few stihls that vibrated loose and sucked air through the base, but it always scored the exh side too......

Freakingstang said:
Nice pic ultra. Any idea what caused the crack?

Which one of your saws was that off of? Never seen a crack quite like that before, and I've seen some real messed up saws.....

Come to think of it, were the cylinder bolts tight? I've seen a few stihls that vibrated loose and sucked air through the base, but it always scored the exh side too......

The latest one..

04ultra said:
exhaust half of cylinder, intake side of piston.

attachment.php
Dayummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that cylinder looked like it fell apart or got hit with a hammer, dayummmmmmmmm

THALL10326 said:
Dayummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that cylinder looked like it fell apart or got hit with a hammer, dayummmmmmmmm

It was cracked.. When I cut it is when it fell apart.. Looks like the intake side cylinder hold down bolts were to short. Just glad its going back together with the rite ones..

Now it gets interesting...044 - old and new - Cylinder cuts

Older 044 (diagonal fins on cyinder top)

attachment.php

Newer 044 - (straight fins on cylinder top)

attachment.php

Side by side...

attachment.php

And again:

attachment.php

Big difference in the porting... I should be able to add a 440 next week..

Last edited:
Trigger-Time said:
Lake, Nice pics of some nice cuts.
What was wrong with the 064 jug that you cut it up?

I didn't like the owner... :laugh:

It has a couple of fins broken of on the other side... Not much wrong with any of the cyinders that a hone wouldn't fix, but... I was having way too much fun with the bandsaw!

Dang, your going to make some people cry with your fun :)

With my untrained eye it looked good to me.

If some of those other jugs will clean up, then I have a good
066 jug, or do I? Do I need to mic it to know for sure, and if so
where at and, what should it mic out at?

Back