Pictures of my Disston DA-211

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rleonard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some of you may recall that I was hunting for a Disston DA211 saw a number of years ago. My Dad sold these in the 50's at his power equipment dealership in Painesville, Ohio. He was also a Mercury outboard dealer, and it was a natural addition to his product line because of common engine parts. He often mentioned that he would like to have one just to hear it run. If you have heard one of these fine saws you know that the 2 cylinder Merc yields an unmistakable sound.

Unknown to him I started my quest. I was able to accumulate some parts but ended up meeting a man from Tennessee that had enough parts, combined with the ones I had, to put together a really nice machine. With the raw stock accumulated, I was off and running. Cleaning, painting, degreasing, and bead blasting, lead to the assembly of a great looking and running saw. I would not hesitate to use it today.

On one of my visits up to him I was unloading and said "Hey I have something else in here". I had it all wrapped up in shipping blankets to protect the saw and my vehicle. Unwrapped things, I assembled the engine and gearbox, and started her up. He was so pleased, he was speechless. I think that his smile and hug hid the tear on his cheek. Of course this made all the effort worthwhile. The saw became a prized possession and he displayed it proudly in his shop.

About a year later, at 86 he is still running the shop. He left the shop one day to run up to the hospital for a simple biopsy. Things went horribly wrong with this minor procedure, setting up a series of events that took his life only ten days later.

Lots of things happened but later I had to clear out the shop. There was no doubt that the saw would come back to me. I have had it several years now since losing my dad. with some regret, if I could pass it along to someone who appreciates this machine or would like a great display machine, I would like to make a trade. I need a Stihl 660. I would consider my saw and cash for an 880.

Here is a link to pictures of the saw. I have it in the rafters of my shop to keep it in a safe place.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pilot...://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pilot_bob/my_photos

In any event, I hope you can relate.

Bob

Hi Bob. What a nice job you have done with the DA-211. It is a real beauty. I wish that I could hear it run.
Sorry to hear about your dad. I dont know your circumstances but in a way I can relate. My dad had a fall at home and was delivered to emerg. He was having trouble talking and swallowing. The attending doctor did not realize these as being symptoms of a stroke. He could have received medication in the first 3 hours which he didnt recieve. He died from a brain stem stroke days later.
Hope you find a happy new home for your saw. It would make a great display piece. It looks great. Take care.
Mark

Thanks Guys. If my old digital camera does not act up I'll try to capture a short movie clip. That will give some indication of the sound.

It will be a week or so. I have to harvest some wood and that is a priority.

Bob

Back