pictures of my owb I am building

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by the heat marks in the second picture,somebody looked at a central boiler at one time or another.Looking good. Scott

Last edited:
It's looking good!! I just finished mine about 2 weeks ago I have plenty of pics of the process But they are all on my iPhone and I don't have any way to post on here for y'all to see it!! I will tell ya it is time consuming to build it from scratch!
But alot cheaper. I have about. 1600.00 in mine from start to finish, including the lines, exchanger, pump,hot water manifold, fan, insulation, siding!!
I have a Backhoe so that was free!!

Looks good! Dont take this wrong but wouldnt you want a larger door, we have built several and I sure like being able to load it with the skid loader, also not having to wittle the wood down so small, a real time saver, not to mention the 2-3 week burn times. Again not bad mouthing you at all just curious? Looks like a nice shop and looks like your no stranger to the welder and torch. Nice work!

It's looking good!! I just finished mine about 2 weeks ago I have plenty of pics of the process But they are all on my iPhone and I don't have any way to post on here for y'all to see it!! I will tell ya it is time consuming to build it from scratch!
But alot cheaper. I have about. 1600.00 in mine from start to finish, including the lines, exchanger, pump,hot water manifold, fan, insulation, siding!!

You can upload them to photo bucket (via the photobucket app) and then post the links here (or embed them)

Thanks,been working around two weeks,building one for me and one for my helper,lotsa welding!when finished will post cost.

Looks good! Dont take this wrong but wouldnt you want a larger door, we have built several and I sure like being able to load it with the skid loader, also not having to wittle the wood down so small, a real time saver, not to mention the 2-3 week burn times. Again not bad mouthing you at all just curious? Looks like a nice shop and looks like your no stranger to the welder and torch. Nice work!

Thank's,my wife will be feeding it sometimes,door is 21x21,I have a tractor with loader,but will still cut it around 30in long and feed it off trailer,I been putin off building one for 3-4 years,finaly after power bill went up went ahead and started it!I'm sure after it is finished I will find things I could have done different!

Thank's,my wife will be feeding it sometimes,door is 21x21,I have a tractor with loader,but will still cut it around 30in long and feed it off trailer,I been putin off building one for 3-4 years,finaly after power bill went up went ahead and started it!I'm sure after it is finished I will find things I could have done different!

Best I can figure around 220 gal

Good move.I'm on the second surgery since we put our C.B. in (6 years?) This is the second time the wife and the kids have had to maintain it I split the majority halfway small and noone has much trouble loading it.I've got my own splitter so really not much reason not to. Scott

Last edited:
Great progress you have made there, looks great!

I wonder how you door will hold up though, I know the inside baffle plate (the one that hangs) on my CB is warped pretty good now after 5 years. You planning on adding something similar to your door to take the brunt of the heat?

Great progress you have made there, looks great!

I wonder how you door will hold up though, I know the inside baffle plate (the one that hangs) on my CB is warped pretty good now after 5 years. You planning on adding something similar to your door to take the brunt of the heat?
Yes,I'am going to put a heat sheild on it ,I even thought about thin fire brick,the door is 1/2in hope it don't give me problems!

Firebrick would do the trick I bet also. I questioned it because a friend of mine built his own OWB and had 1/2" plate for the door also, it was ok for awhile but began to warp and was'nt sealing. He wound up making a new door from 1/2" but added another 1/2" plate spaced off the door in the back about an 1" so far it's been fine for a couple years.
Good luck on the rest of your build, I give anyone alot of credit that likes to tinker with the trial and error to make their own heat! :cheers:

Looking good, I toyed with the idea of building my own OWB also but with building my house and working 12 hr shift work I just didnt have the time to do it right so I ended up buying a CB5036 this fall.

My hats off to you for building your own, thatss no small project and it looks like you've done a great job on both the design and fabrication.

Latest posts

Back