Pictures of the Dolmar PS-510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a picture of my new (old) Dolmar CT

Here the picture of the Dolmar CT I bought.

Where are these saws from? I have never heard of them before, but I do not get around much either.

Cool looking saw!; never heard of them either, but it appears that they are part of Makita from their web site:

http://www.dolmarusa.com/

Wow! :dizzy: Check out the bike powered by 24 dolmar chainsaw motors - where was this bike when they filmed Easy Rider.

McCullough said:
Cool looking saw!; never heard of them either, but it appears that they are part of Makita from their web site:

http://www.dolmarusa.com/

Wow! :dizzy: Check out the bike powered by 24 dolmar chainsaw motors - where was this bike when they filmed Easy Rider.
Makita? Ha ha. I think Sachs-Dolmar invented the chainsaw. Emil Lerp, 1927.

Dolmar have been making saws as long if not a year or two longer than Stihl.

Makita purchased them several years back, but for a while Dolmar were like a sleeping giant.

Nice unit. Assuming that I did my metric conversion properly, its displacement is 49cc. I wonder how it will compare with the Hooska 346XP and the Stihl MS260??

WTF is with the thing on the back of the muffler, it looks like the exhaust deflector is open on the front and back, but I may be, and probably am wrong about that. that saw just LOOKS fast. I'm sure it is, but I have to get one to play with for myself first before I can say for sure.

woodsrider said:
Nice unit. Assuming that I did my metric conversion properly, its displacement is 49cc. I wonder how it will compare with the Hooska 346XP and the Stihl MS260??
From what I have seen, the 510 and 460 is the "farmer/semi-pro" versions of the new Dolmars, and provided there is not misprints on the Dolmars website, power to weight ratio isn't even close to the 346 and 260.
http://www.dolmarusa.com/site/managed/html/produkt/994/PS-510
You will probably need the 5100 (or the European 5000) to make the comparison interesting. They have a higher power rating, but also more weight than the 346 and 260.

These things look cute. All I know first hand about Dolmar is what I figured out about my 153. Did a little cutting with it last week. Full wrap, 100cc monster, 33" hardnose bar with .404 stihl full skip chisel chain. A little on the heavy side, starts great, has all kinds of power. Everyone should have one! (Just kidding). Apparently parts are an issue on the older saws, but hopefully I won't need any for a while.

Lawn Masters said:
WTF is with the thing on the back of the muffler, it looks like the exhaust deflector is open on the front and back,

Hey Lawn Masters, I thought the same thing the first time I looked at the pic, but upon closer inspection it looks as if it may be a heat shield over the exhaust outlet. Good idea!

Lobo said:
......but for a while Dolmar were like a sleeping giant.

Not exactly how I would portray them, I`d say that Dolmar is just a company putting out a relatively small number of decent quality saws with maybe a few better than average, atleast in terms of performance, models like the 7900. The 5100 could be nothing more than myth, we`ll never know if they aren`t released to the public.

The PS-510 at an advertised weight of 12.1 pounds and 3.2bhp seems kind of bloated. At 12,500rpm it`s also a lower speed 3 cuber by todays standards. I wouldn`t expect anything exceptional out of this saw at the woodpile.

Russ

I think that the 510 is designed as the replacement for the PS 111, DSC 520 and PS 540. These are light saws for their class - the 510 is not.

I also think that the PS 5000 and PS 5100 are designed as replacements for the PS 115/DSC 5200. The new saws are heavier than the old ones in this case too, but not as heavy as the 510.

It is a bit odd that the 510 is advertised as almost a pound heavier than the 5100. Maybe the culprit is the use of aluminum instead of magnesium in the crankcase?

Who in their right mind would buy one given Dolmars half azzed dealer and distribution network?
I loved my 7900, even after the oiler kept failing, but what I couldnt tolerate is waiting weeks for parts. I can get stihl or husky parts in a matter of days if the order is placed in the morning.

I've never owned a Dolmar or dealt with Dolmar, but Ben's post says a lot. For those who missed it, read the Dolmar distribution thread (and related threads) here at AS.

Ben quick question for ya, back when you crashed your 7900 how long did it take for your parts to get to you from NY????
scott

Ben, I could of had you parts in one day. So far the parts have been coming very quickly through the new distributor. I just noticed today the PS510 are in. Still waiting on the PS5100s, and as soon as they are in I'm going to order a Demo saw to compete head to head with the older 115i. I will post my results ASAP.

Latest posts

Back