Pileated Woodpecker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there only one area of the tree they are bothering - there is probably either a food source there (insects, ants, etc.) or they are stashing acorns there (or retrieving ones they already stashed there)>

Unless they are actively drilling the tree, they are probably not harming it... If they are retrieving food already stored there, then the holes are already there. If they are eating ants or what not, again they are probably not hurting anything...

glens said:
I never knew that Woody Woodpecker's laugh was a mimic of the pileated's song until I moved into the same neighborhood as a few such families.  I'm always happy to see and hear them.

They are a magnificent creature and I'd never advocate shooting one.

Glen

Have only had a few in own back yard here, but concur, esp as to magnificent creatures! 'Tap" is like a neighbr chopping on a log.

As to shooting, would never consider it myself -- NOW, the da$^&#@ deer that eat DF and cedar seedling I've just planted can all get shot anytime, anywhere. Once planted 2000 DF seedlings from nursery and only about 10(ten) survived deer browsing.

Latest posts

Back