Pilot bearing on twindisc clutch.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got a new clutch pack for our morbark 2400. We got a new pilot bearing too. My question is, is that a sealed bearing, or do i need to pack it with grease? Also does it matter which side of the bearing is facing out? This is the first time I've ever did this and its got to be right. Any help would be appropriated. Thank you.

Can't speak to yours specifically but pilots will either be bushings made of cintered bronze, do not grease these or actual bearings with rollers, pack these. If it has a rubber lip seal on one end, this goes towards clutch. If no rubber seal, then one end will usually be chamfered or tapered out, this also faces clutch (made to ease transmission/pto shaft into it during mounting.

It's a sealed bearing, it can go on either way, and doesn't need grease. Make sure it's a tap in fit into the back of the flywheel, if you can slide it in and remove it without effort, the pilot support/flywheel needs to be replaced.

Also once it's all together (pto bolted to the engine) give the end of the shaft a good whack to release any tension there might be in the pilot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back