Pin Oak Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toronado3800

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Guy, about a week ago you asked to see what Grandma called a Pin Oak. Well, I've been over to see her and got some pics.

I think I would call it a southern red oak, Quercus falcata, from the leaf pictures. Just my guess from up north. Bob

Bob, that's a good guess; the angle at the bottom of one leaf does look like a falcus (primitive Roman shovel) that the southern red oak was named after. The branching habit also looks like it; pin oaks--Quercus palustris--are more dense and pyramidal.

Hope Grandma allows that "locust" willow oak to be mulched and otherwise cared for.

Grandma's trees receive interesting care. No mulch, but plenty of bug spray and bi-annual trimmings from the local tree care companies.

I'm not even gonna tell her about the "Pin Oaks". Do the Red Oaks hold their leaves long into winter also?

bug spray? These are not pest-prone species here.

Biannual more often than usual but not bad; these species hold their deadwood. Grandma's don't look overpruned to me.

O yes so. red oaks can hold their dead leaves.

so mr. Meilleur.. just curious, when you suggest mulching of these trees, do you suggest excavate and remove sod to create a larger mulchble area? or is there another method or practice you are advocating?

I took a few minutes to look up Southern Red Oak in M. Dirr's maunal because they don't grow in my area.
I have to agree it's not a Pin Oak based on the leaves and open branching. The Pins tend to have upper branches that grow up, center branches that grow out, and lower branches that grow down. And they are arranged so tightly you can't just climb through them, like it looks like you could in this tree.
Quercus palustris have stripes on the acorn, is that right? That would be a good way to identify it too.
Also, the leaves growing so low out of the trunk are not the best for identifying a tree. Did you all look on the ground, in the pictures, for leaves that are more representitive of the tree?
Pin Oaks have very deep sinuses, deeper than these leaves.

Originally posted by jimmyq
excavate and remove sod to create a larger mulchble area? or is there another method or practice you are advocating?
Since excavating sod will excavate tree roots I'd consider that a no-no. :mad: Most grasses will be smothered by mulch; for the ones that won't just glyphosphate first.

Yes scale get into red oaks in NC now and then too; dormant oil will usually do em. Here gloomy scale in maples is the baddie; just injected Bidrin into 5 that dormant oil couldn't get.

Next time I'm at Grandma's I'll snag a pic of a few leaves off one of the branches. Honest, I thought they were all the same.

Reds holding deadwood?

Here the reds are Quercus Texana. Maybe the nationalism thing being Texas and all. Very susceptable to anything, especially time. Shaded inner growth dies and becomes petrified. Hard on any saw and worse with tunnel carpel syndrome...trying to cut the bastards. How come the Japanese invented better hand tools than we could?

I haven't looked at the original post. I'm cheating.

Looks like a Pin Oak to me. Only that one leaf looks like the tip is elongated the others look different.
Around here most Red Oaks have a more open form and if it's been pruned on a regular basis like said, that would explain the no downward and crowded branches along the trunk?

Latest posts

Back