Pine Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackman61

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share a few pics of my backyard work area in the past few days. Sorry no pics before, just the after affect of a Husqvarna 372. Put the big bar on just because.... :rolleyes:

My wife took some video of bucking logs but not falling the trees (analog not digital, sorry). Shown is the largest of 3 taken down. Roughly 24" dia X 60-70' tall. Not sure of the species, droopy branches almost like a feather duster. Loaded with baby pinecones and new growth, but leering over my shed, time to go!

Husqvarna 372 XP with 28"
Wrap Chaps, Helmet system, safety glasses, ear plugs, steel toe boots, Husqvarna chainsaw gloves.

Just a couple of pointers I noticed.

A/ Tapered hinge (unless it was intentional)

B/ Spar ended up ontop of stump ... how?

C/ No "relief cuts" or "fibre cuts" on the sides below the scarf

D/ No step on the back cut, it was level with the bottom of the scarf.

So, not bad for a beginner, bit of practice you'll be up there.

Ekka,
Don't pick so hard. He's sharing a picture with us.
I cut a lot of pine, so let me attempt to answer some of your questions.

D/ No step on the back cut..... Hard to tell from the picture, are you sure it wasn't a humbolt?

C/ No relief cuts...... Give me a break!

B/ Spar ended up ontop of stump. How? This would indicate that the hinge did it's job and controlled the tree all the way to the ground.

A/ Tapered hinge....... Oh well 3 outa 4 ain't bad. The only person who never screws up, wasn't doing anything anyway.
:blob2:

redprospector said:
Ekka,
Don't pick so hard. He's sharing a picture with us.
I cut a lot of pine, so let me attempt to answer some of your questions.

D/ No step on the back cut..... Hard to tell from the picture, are you sure it wasn't a humbolt?

C/ No relief cuts...... Give me a break!

B/ Spar ended up ontop of stump. How? This would indicate that the hinge did it's job and controlled the tree all the way to the ground.

A/ Tapered hinge....... Oh well 3 outa 4 ain't bad. The only person who never screws up, wasn't doing anything anyway.
:blob2:

I appologise for your feelings if you interpret my frankness and opinion as hard, but there's nothing wrong with learning.

D/ Have a close look at the picture, there's no step. And even if it was a humbolt the step should be above the upper scarf cut

C/ Relief cuts are a wise habit to get into especially on things like pines.

B/ The spar is ontop of and behind the scarf, have a close look, so either a machine or something picked it up and put it there or the tree came back on the scarf after getting caught up or bounced back etc.

A/ There's nothing wrong with improvement, practice makes perfect, I try to scutinise every one of my fells and what happens over time is they get better.

Ekka,
I guess I jumped the gun. I see now you were offering constructive criticizm.
The last time I posted pictures of some of my work, I got my A$$ reamed by some of these guys who know so much. I just didn't want to see someone else go through that without someone on their side.

Jackman, I still think it's a nice pine. :blob2:

No worries mate,

I remember when I first started out too, felled some trees, got the result but I found over time that if you know exactly what to go for in your set up eventually you get it or very close to it every time.

At college prac days we get scrutinized like you wouldn't believe, and this is a bunch of guys where some have been at the job for over 15 years trying to get their certification. Near enough is not good enough there.

And thank goodness I was so meticulous as I breeze it in, it's just another fell etc because I'm well rehearsed ... and I know what to do. I often get the chitty fells too, the rotted, the leaners etc because the instructor is confident in what I'm doing.

The other day I was working for another tree co and we had to fell this big gum between the fence, power wires and the house, no room for error. It was almost double the size of the bar I had and everyone was chitting who's gonna do it. I did and it went smack bang on the dime ... no-one in that tree co had seen that particular technique I used and all wanted to learn it. It's about practice.

Great pic, fell some more, but each time try to get that bit better .... and at the end of the day whether you do a good one or chitty one will take the same amount of time and effort, except the smile on your face will change when it's a good one. Make em all good if you can. It's satisfying and worth it.

Thanks for the feedback! I don't mind the pointers, I'm no pro. My only concern with this removal was hitting my shed (not in the picture, to the left of the picture) and I was successful. The tapered hinge was not entirely planned, I made my back cut from the "thin side" towards the "fat side" cause if I ended up with more holding wood on the side of the cut I'm standing on in the picture, that was more wood to counteract the lean of the tree, which was towards the shed. I missed on my notch/face cut getting it to fall in the exact spot I marked with a post as a target, and the clear lane that I had for the top of the tree. The spar is on the stump because it contacted other trees during the fall, actually breaking the top 10-12 feet off of the tree. I'm not sure about side relief cuts so I didn't make any. I had a better time with the middle sized pine (about 18" dia) I cut in the same area, dropped it right on my post/target, had a step on the stump. I need more practice for sure. Thanks again for the analysis. All of my training has been by doing, and reading my manuals. My Pioneer Partner saw came with a great instructional manual for felling techniques.

dont worry about there lingo gingo.

If you want to get a good idea how it is REALLY done. Just take a walk through any old forest that has been logged recent or not. I can tell you that 99% of the guys that cut alot of trees dont go through a nuclear science program every time they fall a tree. Some may say that they dont have as many hazards to deal with and if the tree barbers, o well lost wood. That aint the case when every tree has been falled the same direction for ease of skidding. Cutting trees is a bit of science and some art but not all of one or the other. Falling trees is fun but there is no need to be anal about it.

Back