pine pitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the best way or product to remove pine pitch(aka. sap) from your bar and so forth.

I like to use mix gas and a steel wire brush and rag....mixed gas rag on the bar and soak the chain in mix gas then the wire brush. Watch the paint lettering on the bar though!

I've seen it built up in big clumps here and there on a chainsaw. It is usually more on the front of the saw and handles than the bar?

i have found if is real bad, through the bar and chain away and buy some new ones:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I use turpentine. Comes from sap anyway. Let it sit on there a few minutes. Stubborn deposits I hit gently with a putty knife or a plastic kitchen scrubber pad. Wipe down with a soft cloth afterwards. Never had a problem gettin' the stuff off this way. Plus, no danger from gasoline fumes.

WD-40 will clean sap off anything. Including your skin. Shines the saw up nice too and helps in getting future sap drippings off. I never go into the woods without it.

Pinesol. works good, smells nice, non-flamable, easy on the skin, use it on the mill site to get rid of pitch build up on the blade, and works just as good on my saws.

First, remove any large clumps of pitch by scraping with a hard plastic scraper, old credit card does well. I then use Dawn dish soap and a nylon scrubber, this will not harm the paint or lettering on quality bars like a solvent can. Rinse with water, and blow dry with a compressor. Re-install bar and run the saw to oil the bar, ward off possible rust. You can also use butter to break down pitch or sap but then you need to wash or wipe it off, I just skip it and wash usually.

Back