Pine Sap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is the best way to remove Pine Sap or Super Glue should i say from climbing Gear? Lanyards,Ropes, Ect? :(

The denatured alcohol you use to sterilize your tools will disolve it instantly from your hands and clothes. I don't know if there are any problems with using it on ropes.

Bob

Ummm I Guess so i Took down 5 Pines last week and my gear is pardon the pun. All Sappy
:(

Try Go-Jo hand cleaner, works good on your skin and should work good on the ropes and gear without hurting it. It's labeled for use in washing clothes and stuff, my wife must have seen that and had some coupons so we've got 3 or 4 cans of it:D

Yeah. Waterless hand cleaner works well on clothes and presumably rope(have only uses warm water and mild detergent on my ropes in the past.). Vegetable oil will work on your hands also. Leave the sap on your gloves though-makes 'em last.

Best check with the rope manufacturer on this one. Some of the synthetic fibers don't take well to drinking alcohol and the manufacturers say soap and water for some stuff. Maybe that's where all the drunken sailors come from, washing ropes out. I usually set aside a set of ropes for pine only. I even set aside clothing for pine only,wife hates that mess. I love sawdust and she makes me empty it out of the cuffs in my pants before she lets me back in the house. She claims it is hard to vaccum off the floors and I like the great outdoors smell. Close your eyes and you are in the pine forest.

The lemon gojo works the best. pick it up at NAPA. Don't get the stuff with pumice in it though. I've used it on everything including sunglasses. You better verify with rope manufactures before you use it on your ropes or use at your own risk. I keep a seperate "pine rope" for those jobs.

Steve

(also known as Reed)

Those southern yellow pines on warm sunny days in the Fall - chunking them down the groundies told me they thought it was raining. Talk about sap. Dripping gooey sticky sap. Knots don't untie, ropes grab, clipping my saw onto the belt so I could reposition, my glove would stay on the chainsaw handle. Yuck.

But you know what? If you helped the groundies skid everything out of there, helped with the clean-up, by the time you got back in the truck to leave all the stickyness was gone(!?!?).

The ropes too, they seem to clean themselves once you worked an oak or two. I think other dust sticks to the sap and cancels-out the sticky factor. In fact, the character of the ropes seemed to improve a bit the day after pine removals. My ropes to this day (been more than a year since pine work 'cause I came back to Texas) actually smell good. I let my dogs play with rope cuts, I can still smell this weird sweet odor and even my dogs smell better after they tug-of-war with old rope ends.

I think rather than having a "conifer rope" and a hardwood rope, to reduce the residue of the pines, you use the same rope on the next job no matter what it is, it seems to "heal" then. Hell, what do I know?

No rain here in three months. Hackberrys and cottonwoods are starting to wither.

Never wash climbing gear with anything stronger than what you would wash your mouth out with. ( this DOES NOT include Jack Daniels) Rope manufacturers recommend laundry soap flakes and lukewarm water. I love the fresh scent of spruce on my climbing gear, but try to adjust a prussik on a lanyard....:angry: The go climb an oak trick works great.

My lanyard is standing in the Corner! Nasty pine trees Guess I'd Rather Climb a alive one than a Pine beetled one though! :eek:

i make my own lanyards from quick and easy 3strand, tails too, so any problem with them is easily fixed!

i'm with letting it wear of the line too, but will try not to use new rope. Also, will try to be very concious of not letting sap get on rope.

Especially in hot florida sun, it does run out quicker as it thins! The moss down here seems to soak it up some, so i try to use that as a buffer, but keep it out of your friction hitches. Use pulleys on the upper anchors so that lowering line doesn't cut a line into bark, draining sap onto rope, and in a pinch, put a wad of moss on the anchor/frictional redirect.

We also try to complete the work on each tree; ie. don't go to lunch on a hot day, and leave part of a pine standing (or logs laying), bleeding sap out to get all over you and everything when you return.

Dawn dish soap is pretty good on getting light grades off hands etc., have tried some on ropes, but generally go with limiting exposure and wearing off, sometimes replacing tails and lanyards.

For hands we have a real sweet local citrus product down here; called 'The Scrubber' it is more expensive than other mechanix soaps, and for my money very superiour! It melts pine sap off hands like nothing i have ever seen; especially if you follow the directions.

Yeah Spyder, I forgot about how messy it gets when you leave a spar standing 'till after lunch. WE had a PGA tour palying thru (Seabrook Island course) so once I had it topped, the T.V. crew kindly asked me to stop for 1/2 hour. I just sat up there on top and watched all the pomp, got televised too, but when I rolled back over and spiked-in to start chunkin, my jeans were Elmer-glued to my butt.

One thing I feel I need to remind everyone in Southeast areas - bore-killed trees rot so fast if you bid on a sick one on Friday, as short as Tuesday after it's VERY hazardous. By the next Friday it's not the same tree. Just a friendly reminder - watch it out there.

Back