Pine - speedline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Andrew and Will (groundworkers) had never used a speedline before, so nothing too adventurous on this occasion. Andrew controls both lines from the base of the tree while Will unties each branch at the landing. Neither Andrew nor Will could see each other, so clear communication was imperative. A leaning Corsican pine, not a lot to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJEuhIwvgBA

Nicely done Reg!

A haul back and everythang!

What's all that white stuff?

Brrrrrrrrrrr!

jomoco

Nicely done Reg!

A haul back and everythang!

What's all that white stuff?

Brrrrrrrrrrr!

jomoco

Thanks,

While the white stuff was neither help nor hindrance on that particular job, it sure did look pretty from up there!

There is one major error you made...................................... NO GLOVES. I don't know where you are from but that violates a huge safety guide line around here. Na I'm just kiddin, I bet your hands had icicles on them.

AWESOME video and great job.

Could you tell me what helmet cam you used, I want to buy one and the quality was superb. :camera:

There is one major error you made...................................... NO GLOVES. I don't know where you are from but that violates a huge safety guide line around here. Na I'm just kiddin, I bet your hands had icicles on them.

AWESOME video and great job.

Could you tell me what helmet cam you used, I want to buy one and the quality was superb. :camera:

Thanks, here is the camera: http://www.vio-pov.com/

Nice stuff, second the glove thing, my hands were cold watching the video. :)

ha, you and me both.

Nice to see such professional work, mate.

Unlike some of us rookies who just let em fly, and don't bother with all those fancy pulleys....;)

Great Job Reg! Don't know how you do it without the mitt's on but cheers. How tall was that pine because the pov gives a weird height view? Also the Vio pov how do you find the batteries lasting? and any problems with that unit? Do you just let the cam run then edit later on or do you stop and go?

Unlike some of us rookies who just let em fly, and don't bother with all those fancy pulleys....;)

Your a bad man Roger!

How tall was that pine because the pov gives a weird height view? Also the Vio pov how do you find the batteries lasting? and any problems with that unit? Do you just let the cam run then edit later on or do you stop and go?

Ricky, that tree was probably 65-70ft tops. I usually swap the batteries after 4-5 hours of having the unit switched on with the keypad locked, stop/starting the record button via the wrist-remote, as and when. To leave the unit on constant record would be wasteful of the memory card, drain the batteries quicker, as well as producing a huge single file that would then take ages to edit. Thanks

Nice video Reg. Not to sound gay or anything, but I really enjoy watching your work. I like that you take the time to set up fancy rigging, it's fun to watch from a treeman's perspective.:cheers:

Nice video Reg. Not to sound gay or anything, but I really enjoy watching your work. I like that you take the time to set up fancy rigging, it's fun to watch from a treeman's perspective.:cheers:

IF you think you sound gay to yourself imagine how you sound to us. chances are if you think you sound gay , you are. You are no dummy.:greenchainsaw:

It not gay to enjoy Reg's videos, I least I hopes its not. Real smooth work he does.

IF you think you sound gay to yourself imagine how you sound to us. chances are if you think you sound gay , you are. You are no dummy.:greenchainsaw:

It not gay to enjoy Reg's videos, I least I hopes its not. Real smooth work he does.

For the record, the preference or actual use of fancy rigging and pulleys ought not to imply any kinda gay tendencies on the part of the user either;)

What I'll also say is that while such techniques can take a little time to set up, in the long run they can often save time and effort....especially if you're short on man-power i.e. if we'd had an extra guy on the landing, I would have probably favoured the two of them on a simple tag-line and kept the rigging/lowering conventional....but we didn't, and the speedline proved to be a good way to compensate for this.

I am not gay. And would like to see the vid but I am on dial-up which I hope is not gay. I am checking in and will watch it when I get back to the city on Valentine's Day to prove I'm not gay by jumping the GIRLfriend.:dizzy:

Sorry to ruin any of your guys hopes. :greenchainsaw:

Ya, you like that! (Happy Gilmore voice) :wave:

As always, good stuff Reg!

One question about the gear lowering the firewood. What block was that? It looked really small.

When I first started out I bought some larger pulleys for lowering. After a little while I started hearing squeaking. I realized that my pulleys were way underrated for what I was dropping and I had bent the axle on 2 of the pulleys. After that I bought 5/8" spring block.

As always, good stuff Reg!

One question about the gear lowering the firewood. What block was that? It looked really small.

When I first started out I bought some larger pulleys for lowering. After a little while I started hearing squeaking. I realized that my pulleys were way underrated for what I was dropping and I had bent the axle on 2 of the pulleys. After that I bought 5/8" spring block.

Those pulleys are made by ISC and rated at 3500kg, so plenty strong enough for those little logs. Thanks

Reg I had been thinking about getting set up for a speed line and was wondering how would you go about speedlining the trunk wood? I have lots of rope, cmi pulley, loopie sling, one block, one eyed sling, and a micro pulley( if that could be used) also have the grcs. Should I get a small pulley with a swivel and a bunch of slings and clips? I also just work with one guy so having a haulback I think is a good idea

Back