Pine Tree Help in Texas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobber1

Reaction score
Recently relocated to the Dallas area from Seattle. Needless to say, the growing is a little different. I have purchased (3) 15' pines for my backyard for some screening and will be planted on Wednesday. Now, I have another so called expert telling me the trees are junk. The tree farm said they have been grown here and as I say, they are 15 feet tall now. He called them an Afghan Pine, or Eldirica or Mondale Pine and says they will do great in my sandy soil. Can anyone with experience in Texas growing confirm or deny? Thanks

One man's junk is another man's treasure. I'm not familiar with that type of pine, but I must assume that it is a faster growing, shorter lived, weaker structure tree. But not everybody wants or needs a live oak (very slow growing, very hard wood and strong structure). Some people actually want to enjoy their trees in THEIR lifetime.
I have 2 chinese tallows that I planted 2 years ago. They've shot up from 5 feet to 18'. The 2 live oaks I planted 3 years ago have gone from 6' to 12'. The oaks will be stronger trees, but the tallows will give me shade faster. I also like the way they look, even if they are a tad messy.:angel:

Latest posts

Back