Pine tree over leach field.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk12134

Reaction score
Hello,

Purchasing a home where the original homeowner planted a pine tree smack dab, right on top of the septic system leach field. The tree looks relatively you and immature. Probably 6-8 ft tall with a 3-4 inch trunk base. The tree has to go as I am worried that it could cause problems in the leach drains (may already have). If I cut the tree down, how can I be sure that the roots do not continue to grow? I can't just rip the tree out with a truck as I am worried that the roots could already be under the drain lines. I am planning on cutting the stump a few inches below grade then trying to poison the root system. Anybody have any experience on this? I have heard to drill holes in the stump and pack it full of copper sulphate. I assume I could also identify the larger roots, cut into them and do the same thing.

Are pine tree roots known to continue to grow after the tree has been eliminated? Also, are pine tree roots deep or shallow but wide?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

The tree looks relatively you and immature. Probably 6-8 ft tall with a 3-4 inch trunk base. The tree has to go as I am worried that it could cause problems in the leach drains (may already have).

If you can tolerate waiting a few months, wait till late fall, but before the ground freezes, dig up as large of a root ball as you can, make clean cuts on the roots you need to sever with a saw or snips. Move the tree to a proper location, plant and water in. I've moved pines in later fall, severing many roots and they generally come in really well in the spring.

They don't generally grow that aggressively, I kind of doubt it would cause much more of an additional problem being there for a few more months, the burst of spring growth is pretty much over now, it will be slower growing here as the summer moves on; but only a local professional who can inspect the situation can tell you for sure.

Killing roots is not necessary, it's very unlikely to see much anything re-sprout, especially if you cut it this time of year.

Jamie

Back