pine tree removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonny9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Question in last paragraph.

My uncle has a corner of his rental property that I am trying to get him to agree to remove the pine trees from. The reasoning is they are literally 15' from the house for which he does have insurance for. Two 3' diameter 60' trees have fallen on the house in the last 12 years. House is wood beam construction shaped like a barn for those curious so the damage was just some minor roof repairs although the last one was close to cracking the main beam at the peak.

New growth is constantly growing from the roots that I have to cut down every couple of months otherwise it would interfere with the driveway and grow in the road where the roots have already broke through along with growing further into the yard. There will still be pine trees on another section of the property 100' away.

If the trees are removed then what are the options to prevent new growth after the stumps are ground down. There are no sprinklers and grass isnt needed but the neighbor has hedges.

NOTE: If you're an arborist in the Broward County, Fl area then feel free to pm me ur info in case I talk him into it. Just be aware it would likely be a year out as he makes slow decisions.

Bottom right group of trees in map. If you go to street view the growth seen is what it will do when left untrimmed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.0622018,-80.2912919,100m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Get somebody who knows what they are talking about to review the tree. DO NOT start with bids for removal...of course they will think it needs to be removed. Expect to pay somebody for their professional evaluation. Look: here for a Tree Risk Assessment Qualified Arborist.

Thank you.

I should have said that I am an educated consumer in the lawn service. It is just too risky for me to cut down the big trees because of nearby hazards and not having the equipment to climb safetly. Really the best equipment in my opinion is a bucket truck and topping??? the trees off to the ground.

I have been around pine trees my entire life and have never seen one regenerate second growth from the stump or send shoots up from the roots. Perhaps things are different in Florida...

I asked my uncle/owner and he said they are Australian Pines. I didnt ask but he built the house 30 years ago so I imagine he planted them then. At least 15 have fallen over the years. Most of them during a hurricane several years ago.

If you decide to remove the whole tree, control becomes easy. You use a herbicide on the stump to prevent new sprouts.

If you decide to remove the whole tree, control becomes easy. You use a herbicide on the stump to prevent new sprouts.

Ok Thanks. I have sprayed Roundup a few times on new growth from the root system. Barely did anything. I have also sprayed/soaked a different type of tree that was cut down with stump about 1' left over. It keeps regrowing 15+ trees out of the stump. Just not worth it to grind one small stump.

Try some Tordon directly on the cambium area of a fresh stump. I am talking fresh like within 5 or 10 minutes of making the cut.

New growth is constantly growing from the roots that I have to cut down every couple of months otherwise it would interfere with the driveway and grow in the road where the roots have already broke through along with growing further into the yard.

Those are just new pine seedlings. Pine trees are not suckers. They don't regenerate new growth from roots.

New growth is constantly growing from the roots that I have to cut down every couple of months otherwise it would interfere with the driveway and grow in the road where the roots have already broke through along with growing further into the yard.

Those are just new pine seedlings. Pine trees are not suckers. They don't regenerate new growth from roots.

Yup, and the pine stump will rot in the ground and will not produce regrowth,,
love the replies tho,,,,
Jeff :)

Yup, and the pine stump will rot in the ground and will not produce regrowth,,
love the replies tho,,,,
Jeff :)

Looks like Pinus Radiata (native of Calif/Mexico apparently), millions of these grown in pine plantations in Aus, as previously said they never shoot from the stump so no Glypho. or Tordon etc not needed.

Latest posts

Back