Pine tree tip blight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdog

Reaction score
I have lost several mature Austrian Pine Trees. I now have some Blue Spruce and Black Hills Spruce trees showing the same symptoms. I have heard of pine tree tip blight, but I don't know the cause or cure for it. The ends of various branches discolor and wilt, eventually all the needles fall and the branch dies. The effected branches vary with regards to elevation on the tree. Mostly, the lower to middle branches. Can someone inform me as to what I can do to treat or cure this condition?

[Edited by airdog on 04-17-2001 at 12:41 PM]

Airdog - I may be able to help, but I have several questions. What region are you from? Have you inspected the branches closely to rule out insects (sawfly, needleminers, budworm, aphids etc.). Look really close.

What type of soil are they growing in (moisture and nutrient availibility)?

Have the last two growing seasons been significantly dryer than usual?

Could these trees be too dry?

Any other description would be helpful.

Regarding blights, look under the dead needles to see if there is any evidence of fruiting bodies of the agent - they will look like little brown/black nodules. I would suspect Sirococcus shoot blight. The agent often prefers the younger red pine trees, but will alternately use spruce as a host. This blight should only attack this year's growth, so use that as a clue. It should weaken the tree, but not kill it. Watering is your best defense - makes the tree stronger, hence my question about soil and drought above.

A more serious blight is Diplodia tip blight. It can kill your trees. If you look for fruiting bodies and are able to identify both second year's growth as being attached and cankers with pitch in them (and fruiting bodies), you may have Diplodia tip blight. Fungicides may be effective if applied at the right time by a qualified person, but again, the agent is more damaging to weak trees, so provide supplemental water if needed.

If it's insects, respond with details, I'll try to help.

Pine Tree Tip Blight

Deere John,

Thanks for your reply. I live in Southern Wisconsin. We do not have new growth yet, but there are some branches already showing discoloration. Water should not be a problem. I will check the branches for insects or other abnormalities.

Pine Tree Tip Blight

Deere John,

I have inspected the branches on the Blue Spruce trees. There is a brown or black growth at each junction of the main branch. Imagine the main branch, from the main branch the needle bearing fingers (often branch out in threes) have a growth where they attach to the main branch and again where they have branched out. The growth surrounds these joints.

Any recommendations on treatment?

big head

... to scratch I presume

Im trying to figure out some spruce insects myself. if your done scratching ill ask!

Alas, but Deere John is dearly departed....

....long ago..

this board, anyhoo....

In the PNW, the common spruce bugs are winter spruce aphid and mites....

We also have conifer twig weevils, Cooley spruce gall adelgid, spider mites, spittlebugs to name a few more.

Mitchell, any pictures of the damage at least if not the insect itself (as some of these little guys are pretty tiny) would be helpful. If you do post pictures, remember to show not only the infested area, but the whole tree including base (as we always ask).

Sylvia

Back