Pines taken out for free

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott's turf

Reaction score
A friend of mine has about 50-75 old growth pines that he wants removed from his property in MA. Is this something that he can get done for free and the tree guys get the lumber for their labor or would he have to pay? He is willing to take care of all the brush himself. Thanks for you replies. I was refered to this site from guys on lawnsite. Thanks again
-scott

It Depends

In my experience, it depends on the tree service (or logger) and it depends on the trees (size, accessibilty, ease of removal, quality of logs)

Some guys will take down anything for the wood, others will always take the wood and want to be paid.

I would have your friend call around to loggers for that many trees. He may be able to get paid some money for them if they are nice enough. I would be surprised if they are old growth in Massachusetts as this state was 95% denuded of trees in the 1800's.

I guess I shouldn't say old growth as I probably have the terminology wrong. The trees are about 18" in diameter and about 100' tall he says. So he should call loggers and not tree services? Where in MA are you located? He lives in Southborough I think.

Typically a tree service will want payment. Whether a logger will pay ,charge, or do it free.. or say no way will depend on the quality/quantity of timber and difficulty of harvest. I have worked on one job (for a golf course)where the loggers paid for a few timber trees, took the pulp trees as a 'wash' (the pulpwood paid for their work cleaning things up)and the customer used the money from the big timber to offset the cost of the Stump grinding(performed by me). Good luck!:)

In my area,if you have a full trailer load or more of large healthy pines,Loggers will come get the trees.A tree serv will want payment.They don't have the equip. to deliver the trunks(almost full length) to the lumber yard.Call you local wood yard,I'm fairly sure they will be glad to hook you ur with loggers.Warning,when they finnish, your land will look like a battle field.Good Luck!

Here if you have good trees you can call a mill and they will pay for the removal of the wood they want. IE buy the trees then come in and tear the place up.

Hey Scott,

Yup they will tear it up. Sorry to quibble about the old growth thing, I was feeling a little cantankerous this morning. Sounds like good size trees and as long as they are straight he shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to take them.
I'm up in Winchendon which is on the NH border near Rindge & Fitzwilliam, bout 45 NW of Southborough. Where in NH are you at?

BTW, that is a LOT of brush to deal with, even with a good size chipper.

If my skidder was'nt broke I'd come clear those tree's for nothin and take em',I'd probally even do something with all the brush for ya'.Sorry

Rob..

Back