Pioneer 600a

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Pioneer 600a I just finished restoring

Attachments

• 20230105_161137.jpg
    20230105_161137.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230105_160817.jpg
    20230105_160817.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230105_161122.jpg
    20230105_161122.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
curious bout the "a"
got a 600 here, first ive heard of that
looks good tho
one of the best lookin muffs ever on a saw

@pioneerguy600
That`s a fine looking resto on a classic. Best I know about them was that the 600 was the first year made model and they originally came with the pioneer recoil starter on them that proved the nylon pawl`s were not strong enough for rough useage like drop starting technique so Pioneer had Fairbanks Morse design a recoil to fit the 600 chassis so that the next production run was designated 600A and they had the new FBM recoils mounted on them . Other than that I have seen no differences between them, Pioneer liked to change the Tillotson carb model numbers sometimes but I think the HL-22 was used on most 600 and 600A models.

That`s a fine looking resto on a classic. Best I know about them was that the 600 was the first year made model and they originally came with the pioneer recoil starter on them that proved the nylon pawl`s were not strong enough for rough useage like drop starting technique so Pioneer had Fairbanks Morse design a recoil to fit the 600 chassis so that the next production run was designated 600A and they had the new FBM recoils mounted on them . Other than that I have seen no differences between them, Pioneer liked to change the Tillotson carb model numbers sometimes but I think the HL-22 was used on most 600 and 600A models.
Thanks! The only thing is the clutch shoes are worn out. I'm looking for an updated version

cant make out the tag here
paint n wear is pretty even on it
View attachment 1047488
The first run 600 had the Pioneer recoil with the green tree, many of those got swapped out for the Fairbanks Morse recoils, our dealer here did many swapouts and they kept the Pioneer recoils when they did a swapout, I diid come across a 600A that had a Pioneer recoil on it but I believe someone had swapped it over before it got to me.

cant make out the tag here [edit] - in pic
paint n wear is pretty even on it
View attachment 1047488
The rear handle took the most wear n tear on them, that is how I gauge the amount of run time they went through, how much they were handled. Get one with most paint still on the rear handle and you have a low hour saw.

Back