pioneer muffler mod question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwood logger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas and info on a muffler mod for a pioneer P-42, or any pioneer from the 80's. Can these saws benefit from it, and are there any side affects from doing it? Pictures would be great if anyone has any.
Thanks for your time!

The P-42 has a pretty un-restrictive muffler to begin with. You probably won't see much for performance gains, but you'll probalby make the saw louder.

P 500's and 5000's

If its like my Pioneer/Partner saws. About all I seen to do was pull muffler apart and get the big baffle out and match the gasket, muffler holes to the cylinder exhaust exit. Mine didnt need any exit work on muffler, hole was large enough out of muffler.

If you are planning on putting a lot of hours on the saw make the holes in the baffle bigger and reinstall it. The baffle adds a lot of stability to the muffler and helps maintain the shape. It also helps reduce burning out the front plate. The muffler on my P-52 is fairly open so I would not see much gain on that style muffler. That is the only large Pioneer I still own, I am not positive what the other mufflers looked like but I think they were similar.

Back