Pioneer primer pump diaphragm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourfivefour

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer 11-30 I'm working on. It doesn't have a choke on it. It has a primer pump. The diaphragm in the primer pump has disintegrated.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do to get this old saw running?

The kits for the Pioneer primer pumps are really hard to find as are NOS pumps. I have quite a few of the saws with the primer pumps but have not found a way to make a suitable diaphragm with enough flex to allow it to pump gas from the tank to the carb. Most of us use a syringe filled with mix to inject the carb and once the saw is started and run it will usually restart again without priming until it sits idle for a while. There is some Walbro bulb style primers that may work if they have two nipples for gas lines to connect to.
Pioneerguy600

Diaphragm

I have one of these primer pump diaphragms left. Send me a P.M. and I'll mail it off to you. Also check the small inlet valve disc (they can be made easily) and check that the disk retaining spring hasn't rusted away.

Fuel primer

I have used snowmobile primer bulbs on two of my 1072 Holiday II. I got them at Canadian Tire. I took out the original, made up a small aluminum bracket and mounted the primer to it, screwed bracket to the side of the airbox. Noticed similar primers used on weed trimmers.

The kits for the Pioneer primer pumps are really hard to find as are NOS pumps. I have quite a few of the saws with the primer pumps but have not found a way to make a suitable diaphragm with enough flex to allow it to pump gas from the tank to the carb. Most of us use a syringe filled with mix to inject the carb and once the saw is started and run it will usually restart again without priming until it sits idle for a while. There is some Walbro bulb style primers that may work if they have two nipples for gas lines to connect to.
Pioneerguy600
When you start it with the syringe, do you bypass the primer pump, connect the carb straight to the tank, and plug the return line?

I have one of these primer pump diaphragms left. Send me a P.M. and I'll mail it off to you. Also check the small inlet valve disc (they can be made easily) and check that the disk retaining spring hasn't rusted away.

Sent you a PM.
It looks like the disc is gone. The retaining spring is in good shape though.

Thanks for the replys............454

Back