Piston clearance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainlake

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What should the piston skirt to cylinder clearance be on a 028 WB 44mm cylinder, it's about .007 thousands . It had a lot of blow back through the carb and rather gutless, the piston, cylinder and rings all look real good. It has a domed piston, will a flat top work. Also has a real thick base gasket, do they make thinner ones. Steve

As far as I know, the standard base gasket was 0.5mm. I also thought that the domed piston came on the Super 46mm cylinder, flat tops came with the 44mm cylinder.

Still, .007 at the skirt seems excessive to me.

.0035" is where I like to be on a rebuild on an air cooled motor with a cast piston. You may get some slap at .007"

As far as I know, the standard base gasket was 0.5mm. I also thought that the domed piston came on the Super 46mm cylinder, flat tops came with the 44mm cylinder.

Still, .007 at the skirt seems excessive to me.

I have had two 028 supers, the first one had a domed piston the current one does not. I was going to ask on here about this and have not got arround to asking.
The current one is a Stihl 028 wood boss super with the letters super in red. I cannot remember about the first one. I just kow it was a super. Tom

I don't have a Super with red lettering so I wonder....
So I go to my pile O' 028s and start pulling plugs....
4 domed pistons (Supers) and 1 flat top (Wood Boss).
Have you had the red lettered Super since new? I wonder if the piston was swapped out at some point or if the red Supers came that way.
Anybody else out there with a red lettered Super that can check theirs?

I don't have a Super with red lettering so I wonder....
So I go to my pile O' 028s and start pulling plugs....
4 domed pistons (Supers) and 1 flat top (Wood Boss).
Have you had the red lettered Super since new? I wonder if the piston was swapped out at some point or if the red Supers came that way.
Anybody else out there with a red lettered Super that can check theirs?

I bought the saw recently from the estate of a Doctor. I believe it to be orignal. It has very little paint loss or other signs of use.
It is a used saw and I do not know the history so it is possable that it is not orignal. Tom

Latest posts

Back