Piston pin clip install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How does one go about installing the clips that keep the piston pin in? I am about to go crazy!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhhhh is that what i do pioneerguy600...thanks a ton. they dont want to go in and i dont want to scratch the side of the piston. And i dont want to bend the clip. I guess i will just horse it in. I didnt know if there was a method to it.

Ohhhhh is that what i do pioneerguy600...thanks a ton. they dont want to go in and i dont want to scratch the side of the piston. And i dont want to bend the clip. I guess i will just horse it in. I didnt know if there was a method to it.

Just messin with ya, easiest way to install them for me is to,place one on the end of the bore,push in one side of the clip and keeping it under my thumb I take a small screwdriver ,that I have cut a small notch in it with a file, place the notch over the clip and push down or in depending how the piston is facing. The clip will go in and snap into the ring groove, very important to keep the thumb over the clip as they have been known to spring away and get lost.
Pioneerguy600

I always made sure I bought an extra four clips whenever I had to put in a new top end in a concrete saw or 6401 back when I was working at HD Tool Rental. :D

Take one of the little stihl tuning screwdrvers and file a v notch into it. It works like a charm. Mine is about the same as the one below but has a smaller notch and the notch is off center.

Koles046build013.jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=957956&postcount=10

It helps to put one in while the piston is still in your hand. Be sure it's the one that would be the hardest to get to if the piston were already on the rod. Plenty of good suggestions here for getting the other one in.....Bob

I use a similar method only I use small needle nose pliers instead of the screwdriver.

It helps to put one in while the piston is still in your hand. Be sure it's the one that would be the hardest to get to if the piston were already on the rod. Plenty of good suggestions here for getting the other one in.....Bob

This is the way I do it and turn the pliers as you push in.

Latest posts

Back