Piston sizes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What gives. On ebay there are several 039 pistons listed as 42mm, 44mm, 45mm and 46mm. I thought they only came in two sizes, 42mm and super 46mm. I don't know if this is accurate or not, i will be looking for a 039 super piston later as well as a 028 super piston and i am pretty sure they are 46mm each. Does anyone know? I want the right one the first time. Thanks.

Doc

I may just be ignorant of this, but I thought that the were only one engine size (64.1 cc) and one piston diameter for the 039 ?????:confused:

Sorry sawtroll, the miss-print was mine i meant the 029 and the 028 not the 039. Even then i thought there was only two sizes,the super sizes 46mm and the regular 42mm. Not sure why someone has listed sizes, 42,44,45 and 46mm for these saws i am not overly familiar with these stihl saws but will be looking for a piston for the 029 super and the 028 super WB and i am now confused. Help!!!!!!!

Doc

The first 029s had 54.1 cc, and the Super + the 290 56.5 cc. I don't know the numbers, but it sounds like just .1 mm bigger bore.

The 028s started out as 43 cc, then 47 (including Woodboss), and the Super was 51.5, I believe. I never heard of a Super Woodboss, but what do I really know.

I believe THALL, Lakeside, Stihltech and more Stihl guys should know, though.....

029 028

Thanks for the info Lakeside, is that the same (46mm ) for the 028 super also? Curt Bailey has acouple of pistons for the 029 super and the 028 super that are 46mm that i want to buy, i will also buy a flex-hone .Thanks.

Doc

The 028 is a completey different saw. I don't have the info in front of me as to the piston sizes, but can look it up at work today.

Thanks Lakeside. I would go to the chainsaw collectors corner and look at the specs for the 028 super WB, but, i'm at work and this terminal is limited to what i can access. Thanks again.

Doc

doc874 said:
Thanks Lakeside. I would go to the chainsaw collectors corner and look at the specs for the 028 super WB, but, i'm at work and this terminal is limited to what i can access. Thanks again.

Doc
There is no info on the bore and stroke of the 029s and 028s on the CSCC, just the displacements - and nothing about a 028 Super Woodboss.

The 51.5 cc (or Super) version is not mentined at all.

029s,928s

Thanks sawtroll, i am probably wrong on the woodboss thing, its more likely just a 028 super i don't have that saw yet but its coming and i believe its the 46mm piston but not sure. Thanks.

Doc

There are three sizes of pistons for the 028. 42mm, 44mm, and 46mm - the 46 being the 028 Super. To aid identification though the muffler or spark plug hole, the 028 super piston has a hump in the middle, the rest are flat.

Sawtroll here is a pic of the 028 super woodboss if you've never heard of it before. Sorry about the second pic, the first one is better.

Last edited:
Now you've done it. Troll will have to rewrite his sawspecs tome!!!:blob2:

Woodboss, Farmboss and now "Street boss" are marketing terms that vary from market to market..

Excellent. About time he had something to do. LOL. What do i know about marketing!

Doc

Last edited:
doc874 said:
Sawtroll here is a pic of the 028 super woodboss if you've never heard of it before. Sorry about the second pic, the first one is better.
Thank you for the info and picture! :biggrinbounce2:

Allways on the search for additional info.......

Lakeside53 said:
Now you've done it. Troll will have to rewrite his sawspecs tome!!!:blob2:

Woodboss, Farmboss and now "Street boss" are marketing terms that vary from market to market..

You are no doubt right!

The saw-history will never be complete, not even at CSCC.

Here the "Farmbosses" is the basic 260 and the 390.

Before the 361 replaced the 360, the basic 360 also was a Farmboss.

The 270 was Woodboss, the short time it was offered here.

Latest posts

Back