Pixel chain and bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know I should know this but:buttkick:

Is the only difference between pixel chain and regular chain the kerf size?

Also can you run regular chain on a husky pixel bar as long as the gauge size is the same

What bar are you refering to? You have to watch that it is not .043 gauge and try to put .050 gauge on there. Other than that, yes if it is .050 chain and the bar is .050 you can run any LP chain. Normally 3/8"LP and Picco are the same thing. You just have to watch out for the 3/8" narrow kerf that is being supplied with some low end saws and available aftermarket.

Ok this is where i get messed up when you say 3/8" lp what does the lp mean, low profile?, is this the same as calling it pixel? or does pixel only refer to .325

I belive LP (low profile) and pixel or picco are all the same. There are also the narrow kerf versions of LP. Any of these will work on a give bar of the same gauge and pitch provided you don't try to use narrow kerf on a standard kerf bar. And you don't want to use full size 3/8" on a LP set up. Try to look around on Oregons website as I think they could explain this better that I.
What saw/bar are you trying to use what chain on?

I know I should know this but:buttkick:

Is the only difference between pixel chain and regular chain the kerf size?

Also can you run regular chain on a husky pixel bar as long as the gauge size is the same

Pixel bars and chains are narrow kerf .325 .050 combo. It is pretty good for lower powered saws. You can run normal .325 .050 chains on a pixel bar. But you can not run a pixel chain on a normal bar.

My 346xp came with a pixel bar 0.50 gauge 15" long but the chain is a 20lp064 chain and I 'm woundering why they mixed the pixel bar with a regular chain.

Pixel bars and chains are narrow kerf .325 .050 combo. It is pretty good for lower powered saws. You can run normal .325 .050 chains on a pixel bar. But you can not run a pixel chain on a normal bar.

Can you tell me why I can't run pixel chain on a regular bar. I'm not questioning your answer I just want to know why.:cheers:

Also when talking about oregon chain for example, 73lp060e Is the lp in the part # describing low profile?

I know these are rookie questions , but I never really questioned what kind of chain and bars I was buying for my saws. I just would buy what the manual suggested for bar and chain combo's,
I understand chisel and semi chisel cutters and anti kick back chain(safety chain) but pixel and lp chains and bars always through me for a loop, no pun intended.lol

Last edited:
My 346xp came with a pixel bar 0.50 gauge 15" long but the chain is a 20lp064 chain and I 'm woundering why they mixed the pixel bar with a regular chain.

That would be a match. As far as I know. I think the 20LP is Oregons version of a full chisel in .325. 95VP is their narrow kerf in .325. There is nothing wrong with running 20LP on a narrow kerf bar if it is indeed that. When the bar wears out and if you like the 20LP you could always use a full size .325 bar (PowerMatch) or equivelant.

Also when talking about oregon chain for example, 73lp060e Is the lp in the part # describing low profile?

No, the 73LP is a full size 3/8 cutter. Just as 20LP is just about a full size .325 cutter. It is a little confusing. Low Profile is almost always a style of 3/8 chain for small saws. 91VX for example or Woodsman 30LP from Baileys. I know, it's confusing but the Oregon designation of LP really has nothing to do with weather it is low profile or not.

I belive the Pixel chain for .325 would be the narrow kerf, low vibe. Oregon 95VP or Husky H30, they are the same. The 20LP is a .325 version of a full chisel cutter. Stick with the 20LP. Use up the bar you have, it will not hurt it.

Can you tell me why I can't run pixel chain on a regular bar. I'm not questioning your answer I just want to know why.:cheers:

The width of the chain, the cross section of pixel/ narrow kerf chain is smaller then a normal kerf .325 bar. Meaning that if you put a pixel/ narrow kerf chain on a normal kerf bar and tried to cut wood. It wouldnt cut past the chain. The kerf that pixel cuts would be smaller then the width of the bar and hang up on the bar. Think of a bar that is 5mm across and using a chain thats 4mm across. Cutting with it would hang up on the bar.

:cheers:

The width of the chain, the cross section of pixel/ narrow kerf chain is smaller then a normal kerf .325 bar. Meaning that if you put a pixel/ narrow kerf chain on a normal kerf bar and tried to cut wood. It wouldnt cut past the chain. The kerf that pixel cuts would be smaller then the width of the bar and hang up on the bar. Think of a bar that is 5mm across and using a chain thats 4mm across. Cutting with it would hang up on the bar.

Well put, I must be ahead of ya in the beer count, that explains that perfectly.:cheers:

No, the 73LP is a full size 3/8 cutter. Just as 20LP is just about a full size .325 cutter. It is a little confusing. Low Profile is almost always a style of 3/8 chain for small saws. 91VX for example or Woodsman 30LP from Baileys. I know, it's confusing but the Oregon designation of LP really has nothing to do with weather it is low profile or not.

LP chain is 3/8 chain with a low profile cutter(shorter compared to normal 3/8chain) and smaller driver tang. The width might be a hair smaller too.

30LP , 91VX , 91VP , Stihl picco are types of LP chains.

It's a lot easier to understand if you drop manufacturer's special terms (pixel, PICCO, etc.)

You know the basics: chain pitch, gauge, and number of drive links.

After that, the cutters can be low profile (lower, take smaller vertical bite), and / or narrow kerf (narrower, take smaller width bites), or any combination of the above.

That just leaves cutter shape (chisel, semi-chisel), cutter spacing (full complement, semi-skip, full skip), inclusion of any low-kickback features, special grinding angles, carbide tips, . . .

Anytime you change a chain, you just have to verify that the sprocket and bar are compatible, and that there arn't any clearance issues with the saw itself.

Philbert

Back