Placerville Logging Competition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Placerville has a history of logging shows but the last two years we had none. We were not going to have one again unless my brother and I stepped up and did it. The American Legion has agreed to sponsor for a place to have the show. Because it is our first with them the show will be a little different than past shows. The events we have planned at this time are four chainsaw races, two hand sawing and two ax throwing. The date is Sunday, August 28th. We hope to start at 11:00 AM. Prize money this year will be minimum, like maybe $30 for first place (maybe a little more, if more sponsor's participate). It is meant to be a family show and a fun time. The saws will be limited to gasoline only. AS members welcome. Only $5 to attend or participate in events. Food and drink on premises. Mike Rupley 530 677-2842

I plan on finishing my 101 and debuting her there. Don't get too excited Because it will be my first competition ever.

I contacted the Best Western Hotel that is only about a mile from our competition site. The manager told me she could give the corporate rate to anyone calling in and mentioning the logging show. The rate is $99/night and her name is Dee. If you are coming from out of town and want to stay over night the number is 530 622- 9100. Mike

im interested in hearing more about the classes.. i might try for several of them.. i would be going for any muffler class i can get a saw for.. probly be running out of the box chain but i can still have fun.

No fair. If meatloaf gets the spare room can I at least have the couch or camp in the backyard? What size wood will we be cutting? Do you need help with anything like setting up?

Meatloaf, I think the spare bed is spoken for. You will have to fight Ken Dunn for it. As for classes, I think three muffler classes. The saws will be modified and probably 4,5,6 cubic inch. The over 6 cubic inch will be allowed pipes but still run on gasoline. I don't know log sizes yet because they are donated. Jon is going to try to pick out good logs from a pile just before the event. If there is a 30" log that would be the biggest I would expect. I would guess the actual size would be a little smaller. The small saws and hand saws will be on much smaller logs. I would have an estimate of 18" or 20". Again this is just an estimate as log size is conditional on what is donated. If you would like to attend and don't quite get your saw finished, come anyway and a saw will be loaned to you. I would advise to concentrate on chain filing. Mike

hey rupe, is this going to be at the El Dorado County Fairgrounds? trying to do some planning and prep.

im eager allready, my modded husky 2100 should be ready and practiced with enough, my muffler modded stock 181 will be ready.. might scrounge up some other saws to enter more classes.. are there any climbing events planned? a novice pole climb would be cool! nobody ever seens to have a real novice class for pole climbing..

Hey Mike, what kind of wood is it? I was hoping to sneak in a piece of balsa for my turn, you know so I'd look fast and all.

We will not have any climbing or felling contests. Perhaps MM could get a copy of the video of my capabilities in this type contest and share them with the AS members. As for the type wood, I think it is going to be white fir or ponderosa pine. Dedcow your two saws are the correct size for two of the events. Practice on chain filing. For great advise see the Art Martin thread on chain filing. He has shared all his expertise with us lucky AS members. He realized that sharing is what makes this site worth viewing. Mike

my chain filing ability is horrible at best.. LOL.. and thats with a round file.. i would hate to try a triangle file and really find out how bad i can file.. but i can definatly beat my time from the sequim WA show, where the borrowed Mcculloch SP125C i was using stalled about 3 inches into the log.. be nice to compete and actually make full cuts! i just have one thing to work out for both my husky saws.. the only husky mount bar i have is warped and worn out!

anybody willing to sell or rent me a decent race chain for a 24" factory style bar? id even take a well used or reject chain.. lol

I think we could find something for you to run just let me know how many drivers and gauge you want to run and I will find a chain

i should be ordering a bar next week, probly a windsor 24" since ive had great luck with those. if i do end up ordering a 24, it will be a standard 84DL 3/8x.050 bar. just waiting on more money so i can get one.

Let's see $99 for a room....$30 to win. Why don't you turn that around rupedoggy. Mcsaw

MCsaw today is your lucky day. I talked with the committee and we agreed. Just for you the motel room is going to be free if you attend the show and enter four events. If you place first in any of the events the prize will be $100! Your special entry fee is $150/event. Thanks for asking. I always want to make anyone I can happy. Now how about telling us your real name so I can make note of it. You're not banned under another name are you?
Mike Rupley

Easssy rupedoggy! I've noticed you always try to help A.S. members. Why the bitterness? Was my question so out of line? $30 is not very much prize money you know and with the price of gas and a room now days, not much left for beer. I don't have the saws and chains like you do so I'm gonna have a tougher time winning anything. Bannned under another name??? huh! Thanks **** Mussell Shaver Lake Ca.

Latest posts

Back