planting asparagus and other operations on a produce farm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20140418_144312.jpg
Another field

Yes the irrigation isn't fully installed. I ran temporary lines after planting. Last year I started running permanent lines but we had plenty of rain and didn't need it at all. I have the capability in all my fields if I need it. It works for frost protection also if the conditions are right. Hope I don't need it for either this year. We have 3 wells and a irritation pond. To grow strawberries you have to be able to frost protect them with irrigation.

don't have much trouble with rabbits. the barn cats keep 'em in check. darn deer come in at nite and nip tips off the asparagus.:mad:

I saw this earlier today and almost posted to please not tell my deer they're edible. They've never touched them, yet.

Then I went down this afternoon to spread some mulch in the garden...and looks like skunks or some other furry critter dug up part of the bed looking for grubs. Not a big area, but they were quite thorough.

So I will be blaming any further animal troubles with my asparagus on this thread.

I have some issues with deer and rabbits on asparagus. The deer tend to eat the tops off when they are in the fern stage. No real problems during harvest. I have issues with asparagus beetle and cut worms though. At least they can be controlled with spraying. I am installing a 6 foot metal fence around my apple trees tomorrow for deer and rabbits. Liquid fence does work for deer. I wouldn't apply it to anything your gonna eat though.

Liquid fence does work for deer. I wouldn't apply it to anything your gonna eat though.

I've got my own mix of eggs, garlic, and hot pepper I make up for the deer -- liquid fence worked great, but I'm too cheap to buy it for what they charge!

I use on Daylilies mostly, they think anything more than 20' from the house is fair game.

My deer pressure isn't too bad. I have a real fence around part of the garden to deter all animals against the really delicious stuff, and a larger area that I now put up fishing line scare wires that have kept the deer out so far. Used to only put up fishing line to protect the green beans, but last year the darn deer started eating my summer squash leaves!

I make my own too. I had tried hanging bars of soap and it didn't work. Finally tried the liquid fence and it worked! I use it on my trees until I get a real fence up

They only seem to be around in the middle of the night. I trapped 6 rabbits over winter. And for every deer we shoot there's another to take its place.
i warn all the neighbors in the summer they may hear shots at night.none have a problem with that. after about a week the deer are running as soon as they hear the polaris coming.
your lucky 066, for every one we shoot there's TWO to take it's place.:dizzy:

I'm starting to see some spears, but it's supposed to be 30 tonight and 28 Saturday night so I will probably lose these. I hope it starts warming up. They always look a little purple when it's cold.
20140422_142312.jpg

Do you have to go through and cut ALL the frosted tips off? If you do not does it kill something else?
It will slow down production if you don't , because the plant thinks the spear is still there and is not as eager to send new spears up. Some of mine froze last night I will leave them hoping to slow them down since we have a week of cold weather coming. But during peak if theyfreeze cut them off.

We have 3 big sprayers, 2 three point sprayers and a 80 gallon pull behind but this is my favorite , 16 gallon with a wand and a broadcast sprayer that covers about 14 foot. I use it for everything, spraying trees, strawberries, asparagus, just clamps to your battery. If it gets too
20140423_104437.jpg
wet we can't get in with a tractor, I use this sprayer with the mule or a four wheeler lots of pressure. Just bought another one yesterday. 1 for herbicides one for insecticides and fungicides.

We planted some tomatoes plants today. This is mostly my dad's thing. I don't agree with everything his does with these, but he doesn't listen to my advice. I don't like the pvc trellis system either. I would use cattle panel's and steel fence posts.
20140423_105617.jpg
20140423_105717.jpg

Added another hundred honeycrisp trees. These are cameron select honeycrisp. They are supposed to have a little more color to the apple. Honeycrisp doesn't color up that great so it will be interesting to see how these turn out.
20140411_091539.jpg
20140417_101224.jpg
Put these in 2 weeks ago.

Back