Planting ground cover questions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattfr12

The Bulldog
Reaction score
Any of you guys know about planting ground cover? I have tried using crown vedge in the past with mixed results, sometimes it takes sometimes it was a waste of money. The seeds are expensive as hell and i only know of one place to get them, It cost thousands in just seed alone to cover an acre.

I have to plant a good bit of it soon once i get all these trees ripped out and wanted to know if any of you guys Know anything about it that is helpful, sources to order it? and is it just a terrible time to plant. We should be ready to reseed next week. Also have any of you guys found anything better to use? We use it on embankments to control erosion and remove the work involved with grass cutting.

When u use seed, do spray it with a hydro seeder, I would. When in Cali before, we planted alot of ground cover. We would have flats shipped in with 1" sprigs, plant them 2-3ft on center and hit it with miracle grow. Crap explodes after w couple weeks. Or we would do it with the hydro-seeder, cover a big area,real fast. I know that there are seed co's out there that are pretty reasonable, just Google it, alot of them come from central Cali. My bro ordered from a place in Alabama that also had a huge selection of ground covers. You could try vinca or Japanese spurge, which always killed me, when in So Cal. Spurge is a freaking driveway crack weed here, but a ground cover out there!

Gazania rigens hard to kill hard to beat as hardy & pretty ground cover plant

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Gazania, Treasure Flower Gazania rigens

Hardy in zones 8 - 10, Gazania ground cover plants are a fabulous long-season annual elsewhere. Start Gazania seeds indoors 4 - 6 weeks before last frost, or sow the ground cover seeds directly outdoors as soon as the soil can be worked in spring. They make a great permanent ground cover in areas where they are perennial -- particularly southern California and the deep South!

Latest posts

Back